You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-27 22:04:16

takenji1989

Mouse buttons acting very strangely after update [SOLVED]

I just did a pacman -Syu, and after rebooting, the mouse buttons started acting very oddly.  I'd been using this button mapping for years, but for some reason it was preventing me from being able to select text, or paste using middle-click, in most applications:

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 0 3 0 0 0 0 2 2"

I commented it out, then rebooted again to see if that would help.  While I can select text, middle-click still doesn't work.  Here's my xorg.conf.d file for input devices after commenting out the remapping.  And here's the current Xorg.0.log.

I've been using Awesome WM for a very long time, and the "sloppy focus" that I'd been depending on is also behaving very oddly now.  If I select text in urxvt, I can't change the focus to another window unless I switch to another tag/virtual desktop that doesn't have it.  This behavior remained exactly the same both before and after commenting out the above butto mapping.  I also can't use Super+button 1 to move applications from one monitor to the other anymore, and I can't select tabs in Chromium with button 1.  (Before removing the above mapping, left-clicking any part of the tab's entry in the bar at the top would close it, which is definitely worse.)  I just noticed that I can't interact with any menus or buttons in the Chromium UI—including the URL bar—other than the bookmarks bar.  I can use ctrl+number to select tabs, but I can't use ctrl+alt+number to go left to right in my tabs like the extension I've been using for years allows.

Using xev, my trackball's left button does map to button 1, and its right button maps to button 3, but the two middle buttons don't map to anything.  Without my remapping I think they'd default to 4 and 5.  (I used to map them to 3 with the above remapping since middle-click is more useful for me.)

This is the pacman.log for just today.  There wasn't a new version of Awesome, but some X components were upgraded.  My only guess is that the mouse protocol has changed and my trackball's extra buttons are no longer recognized.  I have no idea what's causing the strange focus and tab selection behavior.  Any ideas on what I should try to fix these issues?

EDIT: Plugging it into a USB port instead of a PS/2 port through its adapter didn't change the behavior.  Trying another of the same trackball I had lying around didn't do anything, either. Here's dmesg from boot, including trying those two things.  Also tried another Logitech trackball model, but still no dice.

Last edited by takenji1989 (2018-08-08 21:27:54)

#2 2018-06-27 22:46:45

takenji1989

Re: Mouse buttons acting very strangely after update [SOLVED]

Well, using linux-lts seems to have fixed it.  Seems like kernel 4.17 is the cause of this issue, as the 4.16 kernel I was using before the update worked fine.  dmesg from 4.14 kernel.  Xorg.0.log from the same kernel.

It also looks like ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab are the new tab switching hotkeys in Chromium, which is okay enough.

I can't say this is fully solved since there's something about the 4.17 kernel that's causing this, and I can't stay on 4.14 forever.  I'm not looking forward to when the next linux-lts version comes down the pipe.  This might be related, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by takenji1989 (2018-06-27 23:19:13)

#3 2018-08-08 21:27:39

takenji1989

Re: Mouse buttons acting very strangely after update [SOLVED]

After hearing reports that kernel 2.17.4 and newer fixed issues folks were seeing with their mice, I tried running the latest kernel as of now (4.17.12).  Things work like on 4.16 and older, so this is solved.

Board footer