You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-30 10:28:54

destou

MacBook Air arch install efi partition [SOLVED]

I am a bit perplexed over how to make my macbook recognize arch linux and boot from it. I made my boot partition of type efi but I got an error saying it wasn't partitioned in GPT... do I need to create a seperate efi partition and mount my boot partition AND efi into /boot? I want to make arch linux encrypted, if that makes any difference.

Edit: removed unnecessary text

Last edited by destou (2018-07-09 08:53:12)

#2 2018-06-30 13:00:55

robg

Re: MacBook Air arch install efi partition [SOLVED]

Hello destou,

I don't own a macbook myself, but skimming over https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac#Partitions it would seem that all the information your requested can be found there. I would suggest you to do the following:

1. Read through the linked article until you have understood what the individual steps do. (Of course, if you are unsure about more broad concepts such as UEFI itself, read the corresponding articles first.)
2. Regarding encryption, as the article hints, this should be no different on a macbook than on any other laptop. Details can be found on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disk_encryption
3. Before committing to anything, write an outline of your installation process. If you are unsure about anything, ask us and present your intended outline.
4. Go through the installation process. If you get stuck at any point, report back with _all_ the issued commands and the observed outputs.

#3 2018-07-01 06:45:09

destou

I managed to fix my issue by formating my efi partition with mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1 instead of mkfs.vfat -F32 . Also I am posting from my arch right now! Not the prettiest atm but soon smile Is there a way that I can explain the issues I ran into and my installation process so that other who have a macbook air from early 2013/2014 can learn some from the problems I overcame? Should I make a blog post and add it in the end of the wiki or can I add notes directly in the arch wiki?

Last edited by destou (2018-07-01 06:46:00)

#4 2018-07-01 11:35:10

robg

destou wrote:

mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1 instead of mkfs.vfat -F32

As explained in the wiki. Be sure to always read things carefully!

destou wrote:

Is there a way that I can explain the issues I ran into and my installation process so that other who have a macbook air from early 2013/2014 can learn some from the problems I overcame?

See anything I wrote so far... Stick to the wiki and you'll be fine.

destou wrote:

Should I make a blog post and add it in the end of the wiki or can I add notes directly in the arch wiki?

And again, all of this is covered in the wiki. No need (in fact it would be detrimental) to elaborate on your problem there. If you want to blog about it, then sure, go ahead.

Board footer