You are not logged in.

#51 2006-07-18 18:13:30

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: [forums] We interupt this programme...

dtw wrote:

I expected that - do you have an adblocker?  It's the way the google ads are being displayed I think!

Yes, I use Adblock (firefox extension). I'll try to disable it/display the ads  to see if it's the culprit.

Anyway, the forum looks good with mozilla on my Sun workstation so it's quite possible that this formating issue is due to adblock.

#52 2006-07-18 19:14:14

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

did no one read this comment in the header file?

NOTE: These CSS definitions are stored within the main page body so that you can use the phpBB2
  theme administration centre. When you have finalised your style you could cut the final CSS code
  and place it in an external file, deleting this section to save bandwidth.
*/

I see a css file in the directory, but it's not linked to from the header. Howzabout we fix that? (yes yes patch coming)

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#53 2006-07-18 19:31:11

soloport

neotuli wrote:

did no one read this comment in the header file?

NOTE: These CSS definitions are stored within the main page body so that you can use the phpBB2
  theme administration centre. When you have finalised your style you could cut the final CSS code
  and place it in an external file, deleting this section to save bandwidth.
*/

I see a css file in the directory, but it's not linked to from the header. Howzabout we fix that? (yes yes patch coming)

Read it, but though, "Hey, we're in transition." -- thinking it would get resolved once arch.css was finalized.  roll

It is a bandwidth-saver, to some degree.

#54 2006-07-18 19:35:26

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Simo, I'm not maing any more changes till I get your patch, mate.  PLease include soloports last "fix" big_smile

#55 2006-07-19 01:11:14

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

My  formatting issue is solved. It was caused by the Adblock extension. I've removed Google ads from the black list and all is well. smile

#56 2006-07-19 06:38:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Snowman wrote:

My  formatting issue is solved. It was caused by the Adblock extension. I've removed Google ads from the black list and all is well. smile

Well, that's good, but we still need to fix that!

#57 2006-07-19 07:18:50

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Ok quick update:
I've got everything looking quite good, cleaned up a lot of the rather messy looking code that was sitting around. I changed the structure of the header a bit, so using adblock will no longer affect the overall structure of the page (though please remember, every time you click on one of those ads a couple pennies get sent to Judd)

Things still on my todo list:
- more code cleanups, sorry I just can't stand yucky code
- pass xhtml/transitional validation and css validation
- eliminate code that does nothing (unused css, some tags that are overridden by css anyway, etc.)

I did everything else that's been requested up until now in this thread, including my own.

#58 2006-07-19 08:35:43

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Have you fixed the alignment in the bbcode?  And the general spacing within the posts?  Well, everywhere!

#59 2006-07-19 13:37:35

soloport

neotuli wrote:

I did everything else that's been requested up until now in this thread, including my own.

Huh?  This is still broken:

soloport wrote:

Another bug, explored...  First, go to this poll: Which was your distro before use Arch Linux?

So, the changes of which you speak have not been published?

#60 2006-07-19 13:58:47

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Indeed, they have not yet been published.

#61 2006-07-19 14:32:39

soloport

dtw wrote:

Have you fixed the alignment in the bbcode?  And the general spacing within the posts?  Well, everywhere!

Yes.  At the very least, the class 'postdetails' needs 'padding: 3px' or the like.  Same goes for the class 'topictitle'.

#62 2006-07-20 07:15:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Updates thanks to Simo, nice work!  I asked for work in progress so I am not sure if there are final changes to come.  Could we still have feedback on what has been missed in the meantime though, please?

Oh, and Simo, I think your private message link is broken wink It says I have a message when I actually have none smile

Default theme won't be switched until we have a bulletproof config running smile

#63 2006-07-20 10:34:04

brain0
Developer

dtw wrote:

Oh, and Simo, I think your private message link is broken wink It says I have a message when I actually have none smile

Default theme won't be switched until we have a bulletproof config running smile

I don't see the "private messages" thing, but maybe I am blind. To me the new design looks all good. Let's go on to wiki, aur, bugs smile

#64 2006-07-20 13:29:20

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

This is lookin' sweet fellas.  Awesome work.

#65 2006-07-20 14:30:45

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yup, now that the header is centered, it rocks.  I think some of the quote/code blocks need a tad more padding though

#66 2006-07-20 15:50:37

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

phrakture wrote:

Yup, now that the header is centered, it rocks.  I think some of the quote/code blocks need a tad more padding though

Indeed.  I dunno if that is on Simo's list.  I asked him for a work in progress patch so he may have it covered...I dunno.  I need to speak to him later.

#67 2006-07-20 18:27:52

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

OK - I fixed a bit of padding on the bbcodes but the rest has me stumped - I can't figure out why the smiles in the posting page are all cramped up (and everything else for that matter!)

#68 2006-07-20 19:08:54

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

dtw wrote:

OK - I fixed a bit of padding on the bbcodes but the rest has me stumped - I can't figure out why the smiles in the posting page are all cramped up (and everything else for that matter!)

I did... using a css debugger. The Glorious Arch Header (tm) sets padding on everything to 0px. This overrides cellpadding keywords on table elements... as well as on everything else. So essentially what needs to be done is td needs to be subclassed and that needs to be applied to various things that are still off-whack... like the smileys.

The private message link wasn't broke, I changed it to show the number of unread PMs instead of the number of un-seen PMs. I thought it was more useful... other opinions?

Just an FYI, I set the padding of quote and code blocks to the same value it was under the old theme... though I agree it could use a couple more px.

My remaining todo list is basically the de-uglification of the nasty mix of divs and tables we have right now. Maybe some CSS tweaks (the profile page isn't looking too hot...). That and anything else ya'll think should be fixed/changed.

#69 2006-07-20 19:13:33

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

neotuli wrote:

The private message link wasn't broke, I changed it to show the number of unread PMs instead of the number of un-seen PMs.

Wasn't working for me - it always showed one and nothing showed in my inbox.  I am currently trying to implement it "properly"...

#70 2006-07-20 20:22:50

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Thanks for the latest improvement. smile I don't have formatting problems with adblock  anymore.

However the polls are not being centered yet: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=23396
I assume that will be part of the next patch. wink

#71 2006-07-20 20:41:58

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Hmmm, so I only centered poll results...whoops...

#72 2006-07-20 22:15:35

slackhack

the main forum text in threads is much harder to read now, a kind of grey colored text on a lighter grey -- not good. the latest freetype2 update turned my black text color into a kind of brown, though, so that might be making it look even worse. if it's in the style sheet though, it needs to be turned to black for highest amount of readability.

i sent myself a PM, and it still says "no PMs" - not sure if that's a problem with the new forum or an existing problem. just thought i'd mention it.

#73 2006-07-20 23:00:28

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

slackhack wrote:

i sent myself a PM, and it still says "no PMs" - not sure if that's a problem with the new forum or an existing problem. just thought i'd mention it.

Works for me!  Though the formatting needs some tweaking

#74 2006-07-21 13:46:00

slackhack

dtw wrote:
slackhack wrote:

Works for me!  Though the formatting needs some tweaking

strange, i've tried a number of times and it still doesn't work here. i get an email notification at least. but i guess that's more of a programming than an interface problem.

other readability issues are the grey heading text in the blue headers -- "post a reply" for example, or on the main page ("latest announcements," "forum") -- very hard to read. i guess someone's shooting for a "softer" look (the forum background looks almost pink on my LCD :shock: ), but with dark forum text and properly contrasted heading text it will be much more usable, readable, etc.

#75 2006-07-21 14:24:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

slackhack wrote:

strange, i've tried a number of times and it still doesn't work here.

I'll send you one.

slackhack wrote:

other readability issues are the grey heading text in the blue headers -- "post a reply" for example, or on the main page ("latest announcements," "forum") -- very hard to read.

Yeah, that does need some fixing I think.

I'm not having any problems with text in the body of posts though!

Board footer