You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-04 16:39:01

7thSon

[SOLVED] Changes to notify-send

I'm noticing some changes on notifications I've scripted using the command "notify-send", the notifications since yesterday are no longer clickable to close, and they only show up one at a time.
I also had some notifications without timeout using the flag "-t 0", these now show up as confirmation widows with OK/Cancel buttons.
I'm having problems pinpointing exactly which package has been updated, and how the new version works (i.e. can I restore clickability and multiple simultaneous notifications?).

It seems that the package that this should be is notify-osd or libnotify, but neither seem to have been updated in the past few days. This is verified by https://launchpad.net/notify-osd, last update in 2012?
So I'm confused, where were my notifications updated, and where can I find the changes and possibly new cli flags?

I'm running XFCE and everything I find with pacman -Q | grep notify is this:

inotify-tools 3.20.1-1
knotifyconfig 5.47.0-1
libnotify 0.7.7-1
notify-osd 0.9.35+16.04.20160415-1
python2-pyinotify 0.9.6-3
xfce4-notifyd 0.4.2-1

Last edited by 7thSon (2018-07-04 17:15:08)

#2 2018-07-04 16:43:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Changes to notify-send

Closable and stackable notifications rather sound like knotify was started and used as the notification daemon. Afaik a few of the relevant .desktop files got adjusted so that services like these are not incidentally started on environments that aren't KDE, you might want to dig in that general direction.

FWIW check your journal between the current and the "working" timeframe, there will likely be some messages on what registered as the notification daemon.

Last edited by V1del (2018-07-04 16:46:10)

#3 2018-07-04 17:14:58

7thSon

Re: [SOLVED] Changes to notify-send

V1del wrote:

Closable and stackable notifications rather sound like knotify was started and used as the notification daemon. Afaik a few of the relevant .desktop files got adjusted so that services like these are not incidentally started on environments that aren't KDE, you might want to dig in that general direction.

FWIW check your journal between the current and the "working" timeframe, there will likely be some messages on what registered as the notification daemon.

You were right on the money, knotify had taken over the notification daemon role for some reason, I just added xfce4-notifyd to my autostarts and now everything seems to behave normally again.
Shame I can't seem to be getting rid of knotify, it's a dependency of something else.

Board footer