You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-12 15:12:58

zaxdan69

[SOLVED]Problem with ntfs disk

Hello,
Today, after latest yesterday shutdown when I run arch linux I couldn't login because of an ntfs disk which automounts in every reboot. I temporary logged in to windows 10 installation to see why this happens. I tried to check the disk from windows and found and correct some errors on the drive. But then windows converted the ntfs partition to raw format and wasn't accessible any more. I could see the other two partitions on this disk(a swap and an ext4) from windows disk manager though. After a reboot to windows I found that windows started to check the drive in every reboot, but nothing change. After 2-3 reboots with the same behaviour I used a recovery program to save some of the data to another disk, which took about 8 hours. Then when I rebooted to arch linux I logged in successfully and I found that the partition was mounted but locked. I can see my data and I also can access it(I open a video file to test this), but I cannot move/rename etc as regular user as I did until now. I ran "ntfsfix" on the partition and I get the error:
Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sdb1.
when I run it for the whole disk I get these errors:

Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.

After that I rebooted one more time to windows. Again the disk checked as before, and again didn't change anything. Windows still see the partition as raw.
Rebooting again to arch linux, nothing changes as well.
The disk is quite new(a year old) and hd sentinel in windows reports that its health is 100%, temperature: 34 celsius degrees, but has a message about found problems in communication with the disk and to check cables and connections. I've already have changed the sata cable with a new one and checked all connections, but the problem still exist.
Is there any way to fix this and avoid to format the disk?

Last edited by zaxdan69 (2018-07-13 09:50:07)

#2 2018-07-13 04:16:28

zaxdan69

Re: [SOLVED]Problem with ntfs disk

After I searched and tried to fix the partition, I finally formated it after I copy the most of its data to other partitions. But I have same issues for another partition and today for /home partition too. I found this thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=238554&p=2
which seems that is the cause of my troubles. The worse, in my case, is that the system boot hangs when this "DEPEND" error occurs and I cannot do anything except to reboot via ctrl+alt+del. Following a suggestion in the above thread, I used the "noauto,x-systemd.automount" option for my ntfs partitions in fstab.
But I have today, as I mentioned above, same problem with /home partition too and I cannot login to my user now. Fortunatley now, the system boot doesn't hang and I can login as root in a tty and manually mount the partition.

#3 2018-07-13 07:29:46

seth

#4 2018-07-13 08:19:00

zaxdan69

I've disabled fast startup in windows long time ago.

#5 2018-07-13 08:29:22

seth

Please ensure it still is, because windows re-enables it with updates every now and then.
Is your home partition ntfs as well? Otherwise, there're multiple accounts of a regression in lvm2; please paste a complete dmesg.

#6 2018-07-13 08:31:05

V1del
Forum Moderator

You can (and maybe should if you are affected) add the noauto and systemd automount lines to any partition including your /home

If the orgiinal issue with the NTFS disk has been resolved, please mark as [SOLVED] and follow any further developments on the filesystem dependency issue in the other thread.

#7 2018-07-13 09:49:37

zaxdan69

Yes, I already added the noauto option as I mentioned above. My /home partition is ext4 not ntfs. I'm sure that I was afected by lvm2 issue. At first I had the "DEPEND" issues which mentioned in the other thread, for that drive. But, because I couldn't do anything except to reboot with alt+ctrl-del Ι used windows and this messed things.
Yes, the original issue is solved. I will update the title.
Thanks.

Board footer