You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-17 09:57:41

r00tr4t

ros-kinetic-ros-base failed to install.

Hi there arch forum.
I had the robot operating system installed on my laptop for the last 4 months and it worked great until a couple of days ago when i wanted to develop a GPS node with kalman filter.

The first problem i noticed is that several libboost_ files in /usr/lib/ was updated from 1.66.0 to 1.67.0 and recompiling the ros core did not fix the problem so i wrote a smal script and thought that it wold work.

#!/bin/bash
# find every file containing 1.67.
# find . -iname 'libboost_*.so.1.67*' | sed 's/.\///'
NEWFILE_NUMBER=1.67.0
SYMLINK_OLD_NUMBER=1.66.0
NEWFILE="libboost_*.so.$NEWFILE_NUMBER"
SEED_FILTER="s/$NEWFILE_NUMBER/$SYMLINK_OLD_NUMBER/"

for file in $(find . -iname "$NEWFILE" | sed 's/.\///')
do
    SYMLINK=$(echo $file | sed "$SEED_FILTER")
    if ! [[ -f $SYMLINK ]]; then
        echo "ln -s $file $SYMLINK"
        ln -s $file $SYMLINK
    else
        echo "file $file did exist don't create symlik"
    fi
done

But that didn't help so I removed all ROS packages on my computer to do a total reinstall of the ROS system.

#!/bin/bash
sudo pacman -R ros-kinetic-actionlib ros-kinetic-actionlib-msgs ros-kinetic-bond ros-kinetic-bond-core ros-kinetic-bondcpp ros-kinetic-bondpy ros-kinetic-catkin ros-kinetic-class-loader ros-kinetic-cmake-modules ros-kinetic-common-msgs ros-kinetic-cpp-common ros-kinetic-diagnostic-msgs ros-kinetic-dynamic-reconfigure ros-kinetic-gencpp ros-kinetic-geneus ros-kinetic-genlisp ros-kinetic-genmsg ros-kinetic-gennodejs ros-kinetic-genpy ros-kinetic-geometry-msgs ros-kinetic-message-filters ros-kinetic-message-generation ros-kinetic-message-runtime ros-kinetic-mk ros-kinetic-nav-msgs ros-kinetic-nodelet ros-kinetic-nodelet-core ros-kinetic-nodelet-topic-tools ros-kinetic-pluginlib ros-kinetic-ros ros-kinetic-ros-base ros-kinetic-ros-comm ros-kinetic-ros-core ros-kinetic-ros-environment ros-kinetic-rosbag ros-kinetic-rosbag-migration-rule ros-kinetic-rosbag-storage ros-kinetic-rosbash ros-kinetic-rosboost-cfg ros-kinetic-rosbuild ros-kinetic-rosclean ros-kinetic-rosconsole ros-kinetic-rosconsole-bridge ros-kinetic-roscpp ros-kinetic-roscpp-core ros-kinetic-roscpp-serialization ros-kinetic-roscpp-traits ros-kinetic-roscreate ros-kinetic-rosgraph ros-kinetic-rosgraph-msgs ros-kinetic-roslang ros-kinetic-roslaunch ros-kinetic-roslib ros-kinetic-roslisp ros-kinetic-roslz4 ros-kinetic-rosmake ros-kinetic-rosmaster ros-kinetic-rosmsg ros-kinetic-rosnode ros-kinetic-rosout ros-kinetic-rospack ros-kinetic-rosparam ros-kinetic-rospy ros-kinetic-rospy-tutorials ros-kinetic-rosservice ros-kinetic-rostest ros-kinetic-rostime ros-kinetic-rostopic ros-kinetic-rosunit ros-kinetic-roswtf ros-kinetic-sensor-msgs ros-kinetic-shape-msgs ros-kinetic-smclib ros-kinetic-std-msgs ros-kinetic-std-srvs ros-kinetic-stereo-msgs ros-kinetic-topic-tools ros-kinetic-trajectory-msgs ros-kinetic-visualization-msgs ros-kinetic-xmlrpcpp

Then i tried to install ros-kinetic-ros-base by using pikaur (because ROS have literally 200 dependency's and it worked the last time).

$ pikaur --rebuild --noedit --nodif -S ros-kinetic-ros-base 

But got this error after compiling:

in short:

/usr/include/boost/date_time/time_duration.hpp:270:30: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘double’ to ‘boost::date_time::subsecond_duration<boost::posix_time::time_duration, 1000000>&&’

pastebin the entire message

Any one know how to fix this?

my system:

$ uname -r 
4.17.6-1-ARCH

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 8.1.1 20180531
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

$ make --version
GNU Make 4.2.1
Built for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Copyright (C) 1988-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

$ cmake --version 
cmake version 3.11.4
CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).

$ python --version
Python 3.6.6

#2 2018-07-17 10:13:50

r00tr4t

Re: ros-kinetic-ros-base failed to install.

This seams to only happen with ROS kinetic. Trying with Melodic right now. I will investigate and report back if I'm able to install Melodic.

#3 2018-07-17 10:44:22

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Symlinking sonames is a bad idea, don't do that. Soname bumps don't happen just to spite you, they happen because the ABI changes. Rebuilding and linking the affected packages against the new soname is the correct course of action, but it looks like the ROS code needs to be updated to work with the new boost library. A quick google search show you aren't alone with this problem at least: https://github.com/uzh-rpg/rpg_dvs_ros/issues/63

Mod note: Moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2018-07-17 10:52:53

r00tr4t

First i installed ros-melodic-ros-base and that worked correctly. But when I tried to install ros-melodic-desktop i got an error saying nvidia-cg-toolkit is missing.

This was solved by installing.

$ sudo pacman -S nvidia-cg-toolkit 

edit:
Perhaps add nvidia-cg-toolkit as a dependency to ros-melodic-desktop?

Last edited by r00tr4t (2018-07-17 11:23:44)

#5 2018-07-17 11:20:10

r00tr4t

WorMzy wrote:

Symlinking sonames is a bad idea, don't do that. Soname bumps don't happen just to spite you, they happen because the ABI changes. Rebuilding and linking the affected packages against the new soname is the correct course of action, but it looks like the ROS code needs to be updated to work with the new boost library. A quick google search show you aren't alone with this problem at least: https://github.com/uzh-rpg/rpg_dvs_ros/issues/63

Mod note: Moving to AUR Issues.

Totally agree with you. I didn't like to use the symlikn method but i was desperate.
Thanks for moving it to AUR issues.

Board footer