You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-18 10:45:49

Aklo09

[solved] Option to exclude text between code tags from serch results

The forum search page (https://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php) let you search in message body and/or subject.
I think an additional option to exclude text between code tags could be usefull.

The reason is when I search for words like 'libinput' or 'pciutils' the majority of results are threads where a pacman log was posted.
while what I was probably looking for are threads where the terms are mentioned in actual message text (outside code tags)

The same of course appens with other logs and different search terms, with snippets of code, etc...

Note: I have searched this subforum for a similar request and found none, but "search" has been an hot topic so I apologise if discussed already.

Last edited by Aklo09 (2018-07-18 13:46:55)

#2 2018-07-18 11:58:25

Lone_Wolf

Re: [solved] Option to exclude text between code tags from serch results

Forum uses vanilla FluxBB, if they don't support that option we don't either.

Try DuckDuckgo bang for archlinux , !archlinux   .

Edit : As pointed out by Trilby DDG bang doesn't add the capability OP looked for.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-07-20 15:19:29)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-07-18 12:14:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Try DuckDuckgo bang for archlinux , !archlinux   .

How would this help?  I use it, and it is certainly convenient, but it just passes the query on to the forum's search page.  This certainly can't get any search options that aren't already available on the search page.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2018-07-18 12:50:12

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I highly doubt that this feature request would ever be incorporated upstream. What you are asking for would basically require a shittonne of CPU cycles and/or a complete database restructure to facilitate.

I suggest improving your search queries. Why are you just searching for 'libinput' or 'pciutils'? Those are very generic search terms and will result in very few results that are actually relevant to you. If you are getting an error message, search for that. If you are trying to find out about a particular piece of hardware listed by pciutils, include that in your query. The more information you provide in your search, the more likely the results are to be relevant to your problem.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2018-07-18 13:45:47

Aklo09

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Forum uses vanilla FluxBB, if they don't support that option we don't either.

I fully understand the reasons arch devs do not modify upstream code.
And I should have remembered before posting this request.

thanks all for the hints

Board footer