You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-01 17:36:21

lLadis

Installing Arch on OpenVZ container

Hello everyone,

I currently own a Virtual Private Server (VPS) running Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS on an OpenVZ container and I would love to install Arch Linux on it.

I have carefully read the Wiki article Arch Linux VPS and think undserstood the idea of installing Arch on a OpenVZ container using rsync.

Unfortunately it seems like my provider is running the exact same OpenVZ version that is stated to not work with the current Arch Linux install:

Wiki: Arch Linux VPS wrote:

OpenVZ does sometimes backport newer kernel features into its kernel, but as of 2018-06-27, a fresh installation of Arch does not work on OpenVZ 6 kernel version 2.6.32-042stab131.1

I'm assuming that I am running this exact same OpenVZ version because

uname -r

gave the following output:

4.4.0-042stab131.1

And researching this kernel version brought me to this OpenVZ Wiki page which refers to the vanilla Linux 2.6.32 kernel.

Can someone explain what the issue with this OpenVZ/kernel version exactly is? And if there is any workaround to still install Arch on this OpenVZ version? Like, for example using the Arch Linux Archive to install an earlier version of Arch?

I appreaciate any help!

#2 2018-08-02 13:43:19

Lone_Wolf

Re: Installing Arch on OpenVZ container

Linux 2.6.32, used by OpenVZ 6, is not supported by systemd since version 205 (and will not work with systemd-212 or higher).

Arch is currently on systemd 239 and started using systemd 206 around july 2013 .
Even if the ALA went back that far, you would be stuck with archlinux as it was in 2013 with no way to upgrade.
Doubt that's what you want.

Verify if your provider supports openVZ 7 and how you can switch the vps to that version.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer