You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-02 00:52:37

ddifof

Manual Mounting entry on Samba wiki - Unfounded warning?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sa … l_mounting

While reading through the samba wiki page, I came across the warning found a bit below within the above section:

Warning: Using uid and/or gid as mount options may cause I/O errors, it is recommended to set/check correct File permissions and attributes instead.

Searching online I found no information as to why this mentioned warning might happen, and in that case I feel this warning is slightly unfounded. Does anyone have a better explanation as to why using uid and gid would cause I/O errors, and if these errors can be observed in any sort of logs (dmesg, journal?)

I currently use my local client uid and gid with no problems, as there is no comparable client/group setup with the samba share on the server side, and if I don't use local uid/gid, the folder is mounted with root permissions. Perhaps there's a way instead to just use user/group text input in mount options?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I felt it would be as I'd like to specifically discuss that entry of the wiki, and felt the forums would provide better input.

Cheers

Last edited by ddifof (2018-08-02 02:36:18)

#2 2018-08-02 01:05:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Manual Mounting entry on Samba wiki - Unfounded warning?

The Talk page would be a better place, as it wil be watched by the people that contribute to the page and therefore have both the context and, in some cases, the expertise.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-08-02 02:30:00

ddifof

Re: Manual Mounting entry on Samba wiki - Unfounded warning?

Thank you for the reply jasonwryan, I will post to the Talk page. The only reason I posted here as well was because the last Talk page post was in December 2017, with no reply...

Is this thread ok to stay up anyway? Thank you

Board footer