You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-26 06:27:40

SnowyCoder

Kernel freezing when installing arch on old laptop

I have an old Asus F70SL laptop and I wanted to put arch linux on it.
Specs:
- GPU: Geforce 8300 FS
- CPU: Intel Core Duo T6600
- Original OS: Vista
- Ram: 4Gb
- Hard Disk: Don't know, the one who gave it to me said it was 128 SSD but on the original specs it says 500 HDD only

I'm using the latest arch image (archlinux-2018.07.01-x86_64).
I've copied the image on an USB stick directly using the linux's `dd` command.
If I boot up normally (without changing any kernel parameters) the system freezes after the message ":: Triggering uevents...".
If I add "acpi=off" in the kernel parameters It goes after that message but it still stops after one of the following messages:
"[  OK  ] Mounted Temporary /etc/pacman.d/gnupg directory."
"[  OK  ] Reached target Bluetooth."
"[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown"

Each time I boot it blocks after a different message (but still it's still around one of those three) so I don't know what's blocking the kernel down.
The "nomodeset" kernel flag doesn't help and the "debug" flag doesn't display any significant messages when the kernel freezes.
I would like to give more logs or debug information but I have no idea how to do so (total noob here).

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by SnowyCoder (2018-07-26 06:29:32)

#2 2018-07-26 12:02:08

ooo

Re: Kernel freezing when installing arch on old laptop

Nothing here is suggesting that the kernel itself is freezing. Do you also get kernel panic or oops when the boot-up halts?

Did you check the Arch ISO integrity after download, and try using different usb stick?

#3 2018-07-26 13:46:24

SnowyCoder

I don't see any kernel panics nor oopses, the screen just stays the same and the cursor keeps blinking but I can't type anything nor change terminal.
The checksum is correct and even changing usb stick and port the result stays the same.

#4 2018-07-27 06:52:27

SnowyCoder

Ok, I've digged into this problem a little bit more and here's what I've found:
With the parameters: "acpi=off debug ignore_loglevel" I can see more log errors:
The first is regarding the USB UVC video camera of the laptop:
"uvcvideo 1-5:10 Entity type for entity Extension 5 was not initialized!"
"uvcvideo 1-5:10 Entity type for entity Extension 4 was not initialized!"
"uvcvideo 1-5:10 Entity type for entity Processing 3 was not initialized!"
"uvcvideo 1-5:10 Entity type for entity Camera 1 was not initialized!"

I don't think that those errors are what's freezing my pc, but I found another error that seems a lot more preoccupying:
"platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2"
I've seen that in some forums like here they solved this error replacing something with the command line so I've been trying to do the same.
In short: "rescue" mode didn't do anything more than bring up the same last error
"emergency" mode worked, but only with an external usb keyboard as the laptop's main one didn't seem to be recognized.

The system is not booted in UEFI mode (/sys/firmware/efi is missing) and the BIOS doesn't have any configuration regarding that.
Even if it's attached directly to the ethernet cable the "eth0" device is down and I can't bring it up using "ip link set eth0 up".
I was able to mount an usb stick so I've collected all the dmesg output up to the "emergency" call (that does not include any of the errors described above as they appear after that) you can find it here

I'll try to play around more to try and solve this error or, at least, to get more logs about it.

#5 2018-08-03 18:56:49

SnowyCoder

Can you give me some pointers? I don't have a clue about what to do.
I don't know what module is causing this and I don't know what modules I can disable to prevent this.

Board footer