You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-03 08:16:55

simonacca
Website

[SOLVED] Pointer devices disappear from Thinkpad X1 carbon 2nd gen

Hello,

I have been using Arch on my lenovo thinkpad X1 carbon 2nd gen for 2 years now without trouble. Just yesterday both my pointer devices (trackpad and trackpoint) stopped working suddenly. I have put a decent effort in debugging what went wrong, but am at al loss. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the facts:

No funky activity was going on when the devices stopped working, I was just browsing the internet, and had rebooted since the last update (3 days prior).

I regularly use the trackpad (yeah, yeah, I know...) but had used the trackpoint about 4 hours prior to the malfunction, so I am sure both were working.

The devices disappeared completely, as if they are were not connected. I cannot see them in `lsusb`, or `libinput list-devices`,  or `xinput`, or in `/proc/bus/input/devices`.

Booting a live image of ubuntu or windows doesn't help.

Both devices are not deactivated from the BIOS, moreover, I tried restoring the bios to factory settings to no avail.

Puzzled by all of the above, I opened up the laptop sure to find that it was some electrical problem, however I discovered that the two devices have completely separate cabling to the motherboard, (trackpad has a dedicated flex, trackpoint is in the keyboard flex (kbd works fine btw)) so an electrical problem seems unlikely.

Nonetheless, I tried disconnecting all unnecessary internal "peripherials" such as the ethernet card, usb ports, fingerpring reader, battery; in the hope that it was some electrical interference, to no avail.

Also note that a regular usb external mouse works fine, fortunately I don't need it that much anyway (thaks i3!)

What to do?

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Last edited by simonacca (2018-08-04 13:34:18)

#2 2018-08-03 18:48:47

tom-todd

Re: [SOLVED] Pointer devices disappear from Thinkpad X1 carbon 2nd gen

Can you provide your dmesg output?

#3 2018-08-04 13:33:24

simonacca
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Pointer devices disappear from Thinkpad X1 carbon 2nd gen

Tracked down the problem to a faulty internal USB hub, It shows up intermittently in lsusb.

Board footer