You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-04 19:53:22

RobinLikesToCode

[SOLVED] chronic system freezing

My system will randomly freeze without any warning. I wasn't able to find any errors except for the following:

From journalctl:

This error repeats multiple times.

kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdc3): ext4_lookup:1576: inode #1312390: comm StreamT~ns #714: deleted inode referenced: 1316698

This is the final error before my computer froze.

upowerd[8094]: unhandled action 'bind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-6

From Xorg.0.log

These are the only errors in the Xorg log before I had to restart the system.

[   151.859] (EE) dbus-core: error connecting to system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory)
[   151.967] (II) modeset(0): Disabling kernel dirty updates, not required.
[   161.859] (EE) dbus-core: error connecting to system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory)
[   171.859] (EE) dbus-core: error connecting to system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory)
[   173.646] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Input/output error
[   173.646] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Input/output error
[   173.646] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Input/output error

I have my system installed on an SSD that's now a few years old. Maybe it's starting to fail but I'm not sure.
Does anyone else have experience with these kinds of errors?

Last edited by RobinLikesToCode (2018-09-03 05:07:48)

#2 2018-08-04 21:23:35

seth

Re: [SOLVED] chronic system freezing

The "deleted inode referenced" message means that the filesystem on sdc3 (is that your root partition?) is corrupted, fsck it.
That does not necesarily imply a broken disk or cause freezes.

The missing sysem dbus is worrysome, but if sdc3 is your root partition, it might get unmounted (and then all sorts of things will go south)

You also should https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SMART check the system SSD (while SMART support of SSDs is often less than ideal)

Despite the VT errors: how did you obtain the logs? Can you still switch to another VT and login? Or access the Xorg log? (Or is this rather the log from the reboot? Check the log date.)

#3 2018-09-03 05:07:17

RobinLikesToCode

Re: [SOLVED] chronic system freezing

I figured that the inode error meant a filesystem glitch.
I'm able to access all the log files because rebooting when it freezes temporarily fixes everything at least until the computer tries to access inode 1316698 again.
I made sure to use the old log file for Xorg and journalctl logs across reboots so that one doesn't matter.

The first thing I tried was to run a SMART test and it showed me that I have many more years left in my SSD.
I made a bootable usb and ran fsck and the very first error it found was the same inode that's been giving me trouble.
Hopefully I don't have any more problems

Thanks for the help!

Board footer