You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-22 12:08:12

gradgrind

install scripts requiring mounted /proc

It seems that some (gnome-related) packages, e.g. gedit, libgnome, have install scripts which try to access /proc (I guess via gconftool-2).

This is perhaps a problem for people doing installations using 'pacman -r', where the proc filesystem is not mounted. The result is a message along the lines of:
'/proc is empty (not mounted?)'

Does anyone know if (a) this proc filesystem access is really necessary, and/or (b) what the consequences are for the configuration of these packages if the install script (apparently) fails in this way? Is this a serious failure?

#2 2006-07-22 14:41:10

Insane-Boy

Re: install scripts requiring mounted /proc

Have you this line in your /etc/fstab ?

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

#3 2006-07-22 15:55:50

JGC
Developer

Usually you should mount /dev, /dev/pts, /dev/shm and /proc inside the chroot before doing things there. These are the steps I take to build packages inside a chroot.

#4 2006-07-22 19:11:32

gradgrind

It sounds like I didn't explain well enough.

The problem is with installing standard (gnome) packages from the Arch repos using 'pacman -S' with the -r option (for installing a fresh Arch system to some directory somewhere). The install scripts apparently need access to the proc filesystem, which is not available when using the -r option to pacman. I would call this a bug in the install scripts, but I don't know how serious the problem is.

What (if anything) doesn't get configured correctly in the package under these circumstances?

Is this problem easy to fix? Must the install script have proc filesystem access? This seems to me to be a slightly strange requirement - as far as I can see only certain gnome packages behave in this way.

I suppose I could try mounting the proc filesystem to <installbase>/proc before installing the packages, but it would be neater if pacman or the install scripts concerned would take care of such details.

Board footer