You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-08 17:54:41

eth0:1

Wayland VAAPI issue with discrete AMD driver

Hello.

Can someone point me the direction to fix the problem or at least tell me that part of this graphical burger to blame?
I have GNOME installed with wayland and Classical Xorg. The second one works with this configuration, wayland doesn't.

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)
Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445] (rev c3)

I don't have issue with intel graphics. AMD is using "amdgpu" driver
Those variables are set for profile

export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME='i965'
export VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl

Both vainfo and vdpauinfo shows no error on wayland and Xorg. But if I am trying to use  discrete (AMD) card in wayland I get the error.

BUT!

DRI_PRIME=1 VDPAU_DRIVER=radeonsi LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau vainfo
zsh: floating point exception (core dumped)  DRI_PRIME=1 VDPAU_DRIVER=radeonsi LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau vainfo
DRI_PRIME=1 VDPAU_DRIVER=radeonsi LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=radeonsi vainfo
vaInitialize failed with error code 2 (resource allocation failed),exit

With both options VAAPI fails to execute on discrete AMD graphics with wayland. But it works with Xorg server.
I'm confused. What causes the problem? It seems that only I have this problem. At least I can't find any mention of it in google.
I want to write a bug report.. but where? Is it amdgpu problem? or radeonsi driver? Or may be wayland - GNOME issue?

#2 2018-12-12 16:25:29

themax

Re: Wayland VAAPI issue with discrete AMD driver

The Wayland backend for VAAPI is not implemented in mesa drivers. You can use drm render-nodes though.

Try playing a video with mpv, vlc or kodi (That should work on wayland). gstreamer uses the wayland backend and won't work.

Board footer