You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-10 14:55:12

dummy dorko

Really Having Trouble with Getting Connected to the Internet

I'm having trouble getting connected to the internet. I have an HP Stream and it does not have a ethernet cable port so I have been trying to use iphone tethering but the guide says I have to download some things (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPhone_tethering) but I can't do that because I'm not connected to the internet. If I can't get wireless tethering, the native wireless lan, and lack a ethernet port I'm really at a loss at how to install this.

#2 2018-08-10 15:03:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Really Having Trouble with Getting Connected to the Internet

dummy dorko wrote:

... the native wireless lan ...

And what's wrong with that?  That should be the first option.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-08-10 15:05:38

dummy dorko

Trilby wrote:
dummy dorko wrote:

... the native wireless lan ...

And what's wrong with that?  That should be the first option.

well that doesnt seem to work either which is why im trying to do the wireless tethering. I can get it to display as UP but it is still unable to ping. I tried to set things up according to the guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … _interface) but entering in "# iw dev interface scan | less" caused arch to display walls of tildes followed by [END] no matter what I pressed.

#4 2018-08-10 15:16:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

dummy dorko wrote:

I can get it to display as UP but it is still unable to ping.

That's good news.  If the interface is there (and can even be set UP) then the drivers are available on the iso and running properly.  That is the hard part, and that already 'just works'.  But ping would not be expected to work yet, you need to connect to some network.

dummy dorko wrote:

but entering in "# iw dev interface scan | less" caused arch to display walls of tildes followed by [END] no matter what I pressed.

That's just the `less` display (hit 'q' to quit).

I disagree with the author of the wiki, 'less' is rarely useful there, just get rid of it.

Also, you do need to replace 'interface' with your interface name.  If you don't know what that is, it is what you claimed to have set as 'UP', but to be sure we're all on the same page, can you start by posting the output of the following:

ip a

Last edited by Trilby (2018-08-10 15:18:14)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-08-10 15:41:37

dummy dorko

Trilby wrote:
dummy dorko wrote:

I can get it to display as UP but it is still unable to ping.

That's good news.  If the interface is there (and can even be set UP) then the drivers are available on the iso and running properly.  That is the hard part, and that already 'just works'.  But ping would not be expected to work yet, you need to connect to some network.

dummy dorko wrote:

but entering in "# iw dev interface scan | less" caused arch to display walls of tildes followed by [END] no matter what I pressed.

That's just the `less` display (hit 'q' to quit).

I disagree with the author of the wiki, 'less' is rarely useful there, just get rid of it.

Also, you do need to replace 'interface' with your interface name.  If you don't know what that is, it is what you claimed to have set as 'UP', but to be sure we're all on the same page, can you start by posting the output of the following:

ip a

Thanks, seems like I'm making some progress but am still getting stymied here, sorry for being the worst newbie. I can seem to get it to display networks now on the scan but I can't really look at all the information because the amount I can scroll in the console is locked. Regardless since it's showing networks I just tried logging into mine using [# iw dev interface connect "your_essid" key 0:your_key] and it will respond with: "Usage: iw [options] dev [devname]...etc" which seems correct but its still not connected to the network and I can't figure out what it seems to be asking of me. Between the locked console scrolling and this cryptic message I'm not really sure how to get the information proceed, sorry if I'm being thick.

#6 2018-08-10 16:03:38

dummy dorko

I have been able to find my network with the less command and have confirmed im inputting the name and interface correctly but I seem to be not connecting using the correct authentication process. I've tried following the methods for encrypted and non encrypted found here (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … cess_point) but it just seems to give me the options I can use like im inputting something wrong. Am I misunderstanding what the "Key" they're referring to is in thinking that its a password? Sorry again if I'm missing something obvious, the guide just reads like I should already have a degree in computer science before i even try to install this OS its kind of tough.

#7 2018-08-10 16:40:45

dummy dorko

tried wpa supplicant passphrase seemed to take but still dont seem to be able to get a connection to this access point, dang.

#8 2018-08-10 17:26:32

ewaller
Administrator

Let's go back to the tethering solution for a second.   I don't use iThings[1], but Android certainly does not need anything special to be installed on the Arch machine. 
With Android, connect the phone via USB.  On the Android device, turn on USB tethering.  On the Arch system, there will be a new *wired* Ethernet device.  Just run (as root) dhcpcd

Done.  If that does not work with iThings, I would be surprised -- it would almost have to be deliberate on behalf of Apple.  Oh, wait....

[1] Well, except the salvaged iPod with a dead battery that contains hundreds of songs that lives the center console of my Civic where it is plugged permanently into the car's entertainment system

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2018-08-10 17:49:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

dummy dorko wrote:

tried wpa supplicant passphrase seemed to take but still dont seem to be able to get a connection to this access point, dang.

Did you use wpa_supplicant followed by dhdpcd?  For example:

wpa_passprase "Your Network" "Your Password" > wpa
wpa_supplicant -i INTERFACE -b -c wpa
dhcpcd INTERFACE

replacing INTERFACE with whatever yours is, e.g. 'wls1' or 'wlp3s0', etc.

With respect to ewaller, I think tethering here should really be seen as a last resort.  All indications so far is that a "normal" connection should work fine.  You just have to learn to establish the connection, but that is valuable learning of steps/skills you will continue to use in the future.  (Even if tethering would work, it is not a magic bullet, and you will need to learn and apply several steps to activate that connection too).

Last edited by Trilby (2018-08-10 18:56:50)

#10 2018-08-10 20:16:54

dummy dorko

ewaller wrote:

Let's go back to the tethering solution for a second.   I don't use iThings[1], but Android certainly does not need anything special to be installed on the Arch machine. 
With Android, connect the phone via USB.  On the Android device, turn on USB tethering.  On the Arch system, there will be a new *wired* Ethernet device.  Just run (as root) dhcpcd

Done.  If that does not work with iThings, I would be surprised -- it would almost have to be deliberate on behalf of Apple.  Oh, wait....

[1] Well, except the salvaged iPod with a dead battery that contains hundreds of songs that lives the center console of my Civic where it is plugged permanently into the car's entertainment system

understandable, I'll take a look i just notice the guide seems to suggest some extra steps are needed for the steveware on it but I can take a look, I do feel like I must be missing something obvious about setting up a network connection with the wireless if the device itself is being recognized.

Trilby wrote:
dummy dorko wrote:

Did you use wpa_supplicant followed by dhdpcd?  For example:

wpa_passprase "Your Network" "Your Password" > wpa
wpa_supplicant -i INTERFACE -b -c wpa
dhcpcd INTERFACE

replacing INTERFACE with whatever yours is, e.g. 'wls1' or 'wlp3s0', etc.

With respect to ewaller, I think tethering here should really be seen as a last resort.  All indications so far is that a "normal" connection should work fine.  You just have to learn to establish the connection, but that is valuable learning of steps/skills you will continue to use in the future.  (Even if tethering would work, it is not a magic bullet, and you will need to learn and apply several steps to activate that connection too).

Thanks I'll give this a shot and report back if it works/i have any more trouble

#11 2018-08-10 20:41:32

dummy dorko

Okay well it seems to accept the passphrase I enter, when i enter my proper interface in the second line it seems to respond with some information about the commands. unfortunately when i type dhcpcd wlo1 it times out waiting for the carrier. I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong with "# iw dev interface connect "your_essid" key 0:your_key" command either. As far as I know I'm entering the write information.

I'll type "iw dev wlo1 connect "Network Name" key0:password" is this not correct? Its able to detect the network and everything so the wireless drivers work i just cant seem to be able to set up a connection.

#12 2018-08-10 20:52:47

dummy dorko

ok i finally got everything connected. thanks again for your patience everyone

#13 2018-08-10 20:56:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

EDIT: the below was cross posted with your last post - so you can ignore much of it.  But please post how you got it working and edit your first post to prepend [SOLVED] to the title.

dummy dorko wrote:

I'll type "iw dev wlo1 connect "Network Name" key0:password" is this not correct?

It is most likely not correct - and that could likely interfere with wpa_supplicant.

The `iw dev` command is only suitable for WEP networks which are exceedingly rare (and when good sense prevails they will be completely nonexistant).

In contrast wpa_supplicant will work with a wide range of types of WPA networks.

In any case, you should use one or the other - attempting to use both could cause problems.  I think wpa_supplicant will even handle WEP connections, so really, I'd see no reason to use anything else.  Personally I'd prefer the WEP-specific instructions were just removed from the wiki.

Have you tried the three commands I listed above from a fresh boot of the installation iso (without using any other iw or ip commands)?  If yes, and if wpa_supplicant still gives an error, please post that error here.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-08-10 21:00:32)

#14 2018-08-10 21:48:47

dummy dorko

Trilby wrote:

EDIT: the below was cross posted with your last post - so you can ignore much of it.  But please post how you got it working and edit your first post to prepend [SOLVED] to the title.

dummy dorko wrote:

I'll type "iw dev wlo1 connect "Network Name" key0:password" is this not correct?

It is most likely not correct - and that could likely interfere with wpa_supplicant.

The `iw dev` command is only suitable for WEP networks which are exceedingly rare (and when good sense prevails they will be completely nonexistant).

In contrast wpa_supplicant will work with a wide range of types of WPA networks.

In any case, you should use one or the other - attempting to use both could cause problems.  I think wpa_supplicant will even handle WEP connections, so really, I'd see no reason to use anything else.  Personally I'd prefer the WEP-specific instructions were just removed from the wiki.

Have you tried the three commands I listed above from a fresh boot of the installation iso (without using any other iw or ip commands)?  If yes, and if wpa_supplicant still gives an error, please post that error here.

The instructions u gave for the EPA supplicant have worked and now I can successfully ping archlinux. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to partition over windows 10. I'm using a hp strean I got and it came preloaded but windows is taking up the majority of the hard drive space. I tried writing over the partition with cfdisk but it seemed to break the font spacing to an undreadable degree and I had to reboot. Seeing if I can find some better guides for partitioning now.

#15 2018-08-10 21:53:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That's a separate issue, please confine your support requets to one per thread: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#16 2018-08-10 22:01:46

dummy dorko

jasonwryan wrote:

That's a separate issue, please confine your support requets to one per thread: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

ah understood, thanks

Board footer