You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-10 17:47:34

Gruntz

[ SOLVED ]QEMU, gpu-passthrough. No display in OVMF. Only in seaBIOS

Hello all,

I have several virtual machines running on archlinux host, with qemu-headless. I have two VMs ( Windows10, and Archlinux ) with dedicated GPUs ( I have 3 GPU, 1 for host, 1 for windows and 1 for archlinux ), and several VMs with just in text mode that I access via VNC or ssh. Today I updated, and the passthrough Vms stoped working. The other VMs are working fine. ( they use seaBIOS )

I narrowed the problem to the OVMF. When I use OVMF ( as i use because of the passthrough ) i have no display. They even do not boot. No ssh, no ping, no VNC... no nothing. I just get a message on the VMC: Guest has not initialized the display ( yet ). If I remove the OVMF configuration ( which effectivly switches the qemu to seabios ) I got the display back, but the VMs are stuck there, as the disks are in GPT style, and cannot boot from bios.

I downgraded qemu-headless, and the kernel, as they were the most important packages during the last update, but with no success.

I want to ask if there is a known problem for this, or a work arround? As it was working yesterday, and stopped today after upgrade, I suspect a problem with a package.

Here is my last update:

https://pastebin.com/yJzKYWer

If you need more logs, please ask. I will provide everything. Do you have problems with your VMs after an updated?

Best regards,

PS.

Forgot to mention that when the VM is using OVMF, and is trying to boot, it uses one of the cores of the host at 100% permanently.

This is my OS section of a vm that is not working.

<os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.11'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/ovmf/x64/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/usr/share/ovmf/x64/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <bootmenu enable='no'/>
  </os>

This is a whole VM xml config:
https://pastebin.com/kVJ5Xkh2

Last edited by Gruntz (2018-08-17 07:55:01)

#2 2018-08-17 07:54:46

Gruntz

Re: [ SOLVED ]QEMU, gpu-passthrough. No display in OVMF. Only in seaBIOS

I don`t know what hapened.

I reinstalled the host OS. Windows and Linux guests worked for a while, then the same problem

This time I reinstalled OVMF package, and it worked and it is still working. Maybe something in my VM xml config is problematic.

Anyway, reinstalling OVMF fixed it ( It was the same package version, same file permissions... no change ) , and it is still working.

Best regards.

Board footer