You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-10 22:22:46

dummy dorko

using parted to erase windows partitions and install archlinux

Hi i've been fiddling around with the partitioning for a while and have been a little gunshy with partitioning because im not sure I'm setting this up correctly. Windows 10 is installed and seems to have the hdd split up into 3 partitions named:

/dev/mmcblk0p1 which says its an efi partition
/dev/mmcblk0p2 which just says microsoft reserved
and
/dev/mmcblk0p3 which seems to be the main part windows is installed in based on size.

My question here is how should I use parted to uninstall windows and install arch in the simplest way? Do I leave the old efi partition? It sounded like parted was going to be a more graphical interface to do this in but it does not seem to be with the way I have it installed (downloaded on install iso. not live cd). I'm not sure exactly how to proceed, theres instructions about how to do this piece by piece but im not sure exactly what the specifications im supposed to enter in are which is why i wanted a more graphical interface in the first place. I'm pretty sure its supposed to be gpt and that this HP STREAM laptop has uefi but im not sure what to do with that information.

Last edited by dummy dorko (2018-08-10 22:26:05)

#2 2018-08-10 22:32:13

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: using parted to erase windows partitions and install archlinux

Just blow everything away and start from scratch.

And, from your last thread, I would suggest starting with a distro that is more newbie oriented and does include a guided installer. An Arch installation is more about reading than it is about the command line.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-08-10 22:44:25

dummy dorko

jasonwryan wrote:

Just blow everything away and start from scratch.

And, from your last thread, I would suggest starting with a distro that is more newbie oriented and does include a guided installer. An Arch installation is more about reading than it is about the command line.

I have manjaro on another computer but it seems like its possible to have arch run lighter and this laptop has limited hdd space. I understand if thats not a particularly good enough reason to ask for help installing arch but would appreciate it if anyone could.

I'm using parted now and attempted mklabel gpt and it tells me that there are a number of partitions in use and it has been unable to inform the kernel of the change. I'm at Ignore/Cancel and unsure if i need to do something before these changes take effect, or? Sorry again if im too much of a newbie to give this a try I was just interested in what Arch seems to offer.

#4 2018-08-10 22:49:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

dummy dorko wrote:

I was just interested in what Arch seems to offer.

Nothing other than the opportunity to learn how to install your own system, exactly the way you want to. That means reading through all of those "instructions about how to do this piece by piece" until you have the underlying principles mapped out enough to understand what you are doing.

You are welcome to ask for support in terms of specific aspects of your install, but don't expect to have someone explain how it all fits together, or what to do at each step: that is what the wiki is for.

Partitioning your drive is a subjective process, driven by how you intend to set your eventual system up: only you can make those decisions.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2018-08-10 22:49:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

dummy dorko wrote:

it tells me that there are a number of partitions in use

The only way that could be true is if you explicitly mounted them, or if you are running the iso in a virtual machine.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-08-10 22:57:06

dummy dorko

jasonwryan wrote:
dummy dorko wrote:

I was just interested in what Arch seems to offer.

Nothing other than the opportunity to learn how to install your own system, exactly the way you want to. That means reading through all of those "instructions about how to do this piece by piece" until you have the underlying principles mapped out enough to understand what you are doing.

You are welcome to ask for support in terms of specific aspects of your install, but don't expect to have someone explain how it all fits together, or what to do at each step: that is what the wiki is for.

Partitioning your drive is a subjective process, driven by how you intend to set your eventual system up: only you can make those decisions.

Hmm alright, well it would be dangerous of me to treat an investment in this laptop as some type of pet project so I guess I will have to put this away for now if the userguide is the simplest explanation, haha ive been reading through it all day to get this working.

Trilby wrote:
dummy dorko wrote:

it tells me that there are a number of partitions in use

The only way that could be true is if you explicitly mounted them, or if you are running the iso in a virtual machine.

well i did make an arch install boot drive dealy on a usb where im trying to install this from but its odd the windows partition on the hd would be in use. Either way it sounds like I'm not really intellectually equipped to install the OS at the present time, thanks for  the help you offered though.

#7 2018-08-10 23:24:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

dummy dorko wrote:

Either way it sounds like I'm not really intellectually equipped to install the OS at the present time, thanks for  the help you offered though.

You may lack the relevant experience.  The challenge is, though, that most more "user friendly" distros will not get you that experience unless you really go out of your way to tinker with them at a low level.

Installing and running arch will get you the relevant experience if you have the time and inclination to work your way up the learning curve.  We are here to help, but one must definitely be prepared to get their hands dirty with arch, or no learning will happen.

dummy dorko wrote:

Hmm alright, well it would be dangerous of me to treat an investment in this laptop as some type of pet project so I guess I will have to put this away for now if the userguide is the simplest explanation, haha ive been reading through it all day to get this working.

This is the point that suggests arch may not be a good choice for you at the moment.  If you want something on your computer that "just works" then arch is the wrong choice.  If and when you have the time and inclination to set out on a bit of an adventure of learning, then arch will be here.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer