You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-07 12:41:59

Enrico1989

[SOLVED] aurman doesn't work after system upgrade

I upgrade my system very frequently in order to keep pace with the community; yesterday I ran `# pacman -Syu` (after having checked that no manual intervention was needed), which resulted in the upgrade of over 200 packages (maybe because of summer?); then I rebooted the system and realized that something possibly went wrong when I opened a terminal and have this error(s)

/usr/bin/archey3:862: DeprecationWarning: The SafeConfigParser class has been renamed to ConfigParser in Python 3.2. This alias will be removed in future versions. Use ConfigParser directly instead.
  config = ArcheyConfigParser()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/archey3", line 805, in parse_display
    raise StopIteration
StopIteration

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/bin/archey3", line 869, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/archey3", line 866, in main
    archey.run(options.screenshot)
  File "/usr/bin/archey3", line 728, in run
    print(self.render())
  File "/usr/bin/archey3", line 734, in render
    results = self.prepare_results()
  File "/usr/bin/archey3", line 753, in prepare_results
    for cls_name, args in self.parse_display():
RuntimeError: generator raised StopIteration

related to the "nice" Archey3 package which is not the reason why I installed an AUR helper.

Afterwards I tried to run `$ aurman -Syu` to upgrade AUR packages, but this resulted and results in

File "/usr/bin/aurman", line 6, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3095, in <module>
    @_call_aside
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3079, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3108, in _initialize_master_working_set
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 570, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 888, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 774, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'aurman==2.9.38' distribution was not found and is required by the application

Honestly, when I installed Arch I referred to the wikis, and when it came to installing Dropbox and Skype (among other things) I realized that it was a matter of either installing the packages by hand, or let an AUR helper do it for me, and I chose the latter in good faith; I didn't read the notice at the GitHub page. (Well, even if I had, I'd still have to make that choice, or the other, since I need Dropbox, Skype, and possibly other unsupported packages.)

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-08-27 20:26:42)

#2 2018-08-07 12:45:34

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] aurman doesn't work after system upgrade

Python had an ABI breaking update, you have to rebuild aurman manually (and FWIW archey and every other python package from the AUR as well, though I've read somewhere that this has a change that actually needs a code fix).

And maybe use this opportunity to grow to an user that should not be afraid of the disclaimer on Github by reading: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg

Last edited by V1del (2018-08-07 12:58:54)

#3 2018-08-07 12:57:24

Lupo Alberto

I  just used 'yaourt' for resolve this issue.
P.S. I know to use 'yaourt' is "bad", but sometimes it helps me.

#4 2018-08-07 16:10:51

Enrico1989

V1del wrote:

rebuild aurman manually (and FWIW archey and every other python package from the AUR as well, though I've read somewhere that this has a change that actually needs a code fix).

Wouldn't be enough, after having rebuilt aurman manually, to unistall and reinstall every other python-AUR package using aurman itself?

#5 2018-08-07 16:40:51

Enrico1989

As suggest I've partially read those links posted by @V1del and came up again on the AUR wiki, where I found @mprom's comment about this error. The solution seems quite easy and reflects what's written in the wikis.
Unfortunately, when I run `makepkg -Acs` I get the following error

==> Making package: aurman 2.17.2-1 (Tue 07 Aug 2018 06:29:17 PM CEST)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
[sudo] password for enrico: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (4) python-sgmllib-5.2.1-3  pyalpm-0.8.4-2  python-dateutil-2.7.3-2  python-feedparser-5.2.1-3

Total Download Size:   0.37 MiB
Total Installed Size:  1.36 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 pyalpm-0.8.4-2-x86_64                                                                                                            41.6 KiB   404K/s 00:00 [##############################################################################################] 100%
 python-sgmllib-5.2.1-3-any                                                                                                       11.0 KiB   784K/s 00:00 [##############################################################################################] 100%
 python-feedparser-5.2.1-3-any                                                                                                    82.6 KiB   656K/s 00:00 [##############################################################################################] 100%
 python-dateutil-2.7.3-2-any                                                                                                     242.3 KiB   638K/s 00:00 [##############################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                            [##############################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking package integrity                                                                                                                          [##############################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) loading package files                                                                                                                               [##############################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                                         [##############################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking available disk space                                                                                                                       [##############################################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/4) installing python-dateutil                                                                                                                          [##############################################################################################] 100%
(2/4) installing pyalpm                                                                                                                                   [##############################################################################################] 100%
(3/4) installing python-sgmllib                                                                                                                           [##############################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) installing python-feedparser                                                                                                                        [##############################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Cloning aurman_sources git repo...
Cloning into bare repository '/home/enrico/Downloads/aurman/aurman_sources'...
remote: Counting objects: 4113, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (53/53), done.
remote: Total 4113 (delta 39), reused 55 (delta 24), pack-reused 4036
Receiving objects: 100% (4113/4113), 879.68 KiB | 625.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2622/2622), done.
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    aurman_sources ... Skipped
==> Verifying source file signatures with gpg...
    aurman_sources git repo ... FAILED (unknown public key 465022E743D71E39)
==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!

which brings to my mind the last stupid thing I did while trying something very useless. Without going into useless details, I ran

sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys

which gave some error, making me abort the stupid thing, with the idea that errors in refreshing something were nothing important if that refresh was not needed. Well, maybe they were tongue

#6 2018-08-07 16:48:48

Scimmia
Fellow

#7 2018-08-07 16:57:01

Enrico1989

Well, giving a look at a SuperUser question and at makepkg and GnuPG pages, it seems that all I've to do is running

gpg --import public.key

where `public.key` is the `validpgpkeys` entry in the `PKGBUILD` file. Have I got it?

Should it be of any relevance, at the moment

$ gpg --list-secret-keys
$ gpg --list-keys

gives no output (I deleted the `.gnupg` folder while trying to play with keys and signatures to understand how to use gnpug and pass, but the directory is there again, possibly created by some program).

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-08-07 17:06:45)

#8 2018-08-07 17:02:01

Enrico1989

Oh, I was reading that too.

By the way it seems you gave important contribution to this question as well, so you can maybe help me to understand whether this thing I need to do is due to that stupid error I did or something else I could have inadvertently done. Or it is a normal consequence of changes in packages and the likes, as in the case of the linked question.

#9 2018-08-08 07:55:33

Enrico1989

I'm still stuck with the Signature checking.

I've run `gpg --full-gen-key` (btw, I set a 1 day validity for the key, so tomorrow I'll maybe understand a bit more about how keys work), but still don't know what to do with the `validpgpkeys` entry in `PKGBUILD`.

#10 2018-08-08 08:22:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

--import imports a valid keyfile, you don't have a keyfile, you have a key id in the validpgpkeys you can use to receive the actual key from a keyserver (--recv-keys). Read scimmia's link (and FWIW your own, the stack overflow post you found points that out as well) more closely.

#11 2018-08-08 08:29:44

Enrico1989

V1del wrote:

--import imports a valid keyfile, you don't have a keyfile, you have a key id in the validpgpkeys you can use to receive the actual key from a keyserver (--recv-keys). Read scimmia's link (and FWIW your own, the stack overflow post you found points that out as well) more closely.

Indeed I tried that too, but I get an error

$ gpg --recv-keys 4C3CE98F9579981C21CA1EC3465022E743D71E39
gpg: keyserver receive failed: Server indicated a failure

#12 2018-08-08 14:25:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Enrico1989 wrote:

As suggest I've partially read those links ...

No one suggested partially reading them.  Given that you only partially read, it's not surprising that the problem was only partially solved, and you got much further towards a solution when you were told to actually go read them completely.

As for the last error, any search at all would have led you to a thread with that error message in the title and a solution in the thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=220996

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#13 2018-08-09 07:23:04

Enrico1989

Trilby wrote:
Enrico1989 wrote:

As suggest I've partially read those links ...

No one suggested partially reading them.  Given that you only partially read, it's not surprising that the problem was only partially solved, and you got much further towards a solution when you were told to actually go read them completely.

As for the last error, any search at all would have led you to a thread with that error message in the title and a solution in the thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=220996

I apologize for having attributed the adverb partially to users other than me, so it's maybe kind to correct myself as follows. As implied by the other's comments, I've followed those links, but I've read the corresponding pages partially, trying to extract from them what I [think I] need, since I think there's really no advantage (now) in reading "How can I vote for packages in the AUR?" or "How do I create a PKGBUILD?".

As for the last error, what I've searched has led me to other threads (some of which I've linked already), maybe less useful than the one you posted, maybe because I chose the wrong words to seach for.

I'm using my brain and desirably your help to solve this problem, the former carrying limitations with it and, in turn, doing possibly wrong evaluations about what words to search for, about the usefulness of the many search engine's results, ...
My intent is not to waste your time. If this is your impression, I apologize for my inability to take all the best help out of your answers and/or for my scarse communicational skills, but I assure you I'm committed to understand and solve the problem.

As for the thread you linked, it seems to me that three massages carry three possible solutions:
1) downgrade to a sufficiently older version of gpg; I've never downgraded anything, but I don't think it's so difficult, so this solution is the most viable for me);
2) add a line to a file; this seems the easiest and most immediate solution, except that file doesn't exist in my system and, AFAIU, it is supposed to exist already;
3) force my system to use 8.8.8.8 as DNS; this solution is the less viable, since it means I've to study a lot about it (at the moment DNS for me is Direct Numerical Simulation, which is certainly not the case).

#14 2018-08-10 13:46:27

Enrico1989

At the aurman page on AUR @mprom explains what the problem is with aurman after a python major new update. Since I experience exactly the same error as him/her, I decide to follow the instrunctions, that give a solution as easy as running `makepkg -Acs` and then `sudo pacman -U aurman-2.17.1.1-any.pkg.tar.xz` which means "build a package with makepkg and then feed pacman with the resulting file to install that brand-new package".

When performing the former step I get the error

aurman_sources git repo ... FAILED (unknown public key 465022E743D71E39)
==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!

which makes me think that the problem can possibly ascribed to
(1) me, since I could have made a mess with gpg, the keys and everything else
(2) the PKGBUILD file
(3) makepkg utility

Paradoxically I wouldn't know what to do about the 1st point. So I've skipped to the second.

I've read the PKGBUILD wiki page's toc with Aurman's PKGBUILD file aside; several variables defined in the latter are described as mandatory in the former, whereas others are not, but none of them seems to hide any secret (I've also checked Creating packages page to understand what the `package()` function should do; that's not completely clear to me, but I still don't think it plays a role in the error I get when I try to run `makepkg -Acs`). About the `validpgpkey` variable, I read that makepkg will only accept signatures from the keys listed here, which lets me think that the error raised by `makepkg` is due to a problem with the signature(s) and `makepkg`.

Specifically I think something about signatures/keys is missing, so I go to the makepkg wiki page and read that If a needed public key for a package is missing, the PKGBUILD will most likely contain a validpgpkeys entry with the required key IDs. You can import it manually, or you can find it on a keyserver and import it from there., which convinces me that all I have to do is importing the key with that ID I find as value of the variable `validpgpkeys` in the `PKGBUILD` file. At the GnuPG wiki page I understand (with the help of @V1del) that importing a key simply means running either `gpg --import keyfile` if I have the keyfile or `gpg --recv-key keyid` if I have the keyid (I still haven't tried the former, downloading the keyfile); when I try the latter way, I get an error

$ gpg --recv-keys 4C3CE98F9579981C21CA1EC3465022E743D71E39 # I tried `gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu 4C3CE98F9579981C21CA1EC3465022E743D71E39` as well

which leads me to the conclusion that either that (1) point in the list above is true, or the error is not dependent on my actions.

At that point @Trilby suggests a complete reading of those webpages and provides a link with the solution. As far as I've understood what I've read (both the wikis and the thread), the problem could be an upstream bug, and the corresponding solution is more of a workaround, chosen among the following 3

Enrico1989 wrote:

1) downgrade to a sufficiently older version of gpg; I've never downgraded anything, but I don't think it's so difficult, so this solution is the most viable for me);
2) add a line to a file; this seems the easiest and most immediate solution, except that file doesn't exist in my system and, AFAIU, it is supposed to exist already;
3) force my system to use 8.8.8.8 as DNS; this solution is the less viable, since it means I've to study a lot about it (at the moment DNS for me is Direct Numerical Simulation, which is certainly not the case).

but I'd rather prefer that some of you tell me whether I'm still wrong before doing any mistakes.

Oh, by the way, the error I get when running `gpg --recv-keys` is different with respect to that reported by the OP at the page liked by @Trilby, which is

gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available

This error says that a keyserver is not available, whereas the error I encounter says the server indicated a failure, implying it's available, am I right?

#15 2018-08-12 12:54:43

mrunion
Website

Enrico1989 -- In option 2, what file are you alluding to not existing?

Also, are you using systemd-netword or NetworkManager or something else for networking?

I am asking because I fought a very similar problem installing aurman in a VM on my MacBook Pro. I have Arch installed to bare metal on a laptop, but I have a smaller Arch install on a VM on my MacBook in case I am traveling light and need Arch. I could not import the key at all with sustemd-netowkr in the VM. I changed to NetworkManager and it imported just fine. I'm sure it is my misunderstanding some network configuration somewhere, but I just wanted Arch running in the VM, so that worked the fastest for me.

YMMV

Last edited by mrunion (2018-08-12 12:56:48)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#16 2018-08-12 14:53:45

ewaller
Administrator

Enrico1989 wrote:

DNS; this solution is the less viable, since it means I've to study a lot about it (at the moment DNS for me is Direct Numerical Simulation, which is certainly not the case).

Ah, overloaded TLA's smile

DNS ==> Domain Name System
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Do … resolution

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#17 2018-08-12 19:58:30

a821

@Enrico1989: sanity check. What's the output of?

curl "http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x465022E743D71E39"
curl "http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x465022E743D71E39"

you should be able to download the dev's key with either command (which you may import with GnuPG `--import` option). If it doesn't work pass the verbose option to curl and paste the results.

Last edited by a821 (2018-08-12 19:59:29)

#18 2018-08-20 13:10:42

Enrico1989

I'm so sorry for the late reply, but I'm just back from Sicilia smile.

mrunion wrote:

Enrico1989 -- In option 2, what file are you alluding to not existing?

I refer to the suggestion of adding `standard-resolver` to file the file /root/.gnupg/dirmngr.conf, which doesn't exist in my system (actually the folder /root/.gnupg itself does not exist).

mrunion wrote:

Also, are you using systemd-netword or NetworkManager or something else for networking?

I use ConnMan.

a821 wrote:

@Enrico1989: sanity check. What's the output of?

curl "http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x465022E743D71E39"
curl "http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x465022E743D71E39"

Neither command works, and two verbose outputs are

*   Trying 18.9.60.141...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to pgp.mit.edu (18.9.60.141) port 80 (#0)
> GET /pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x465022E743D71E39 HTTP/1.1
> Host: pgp.mit.edu
> User-Agent: curl/7.61.0
> Accept: */*
> 
< HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
< Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:05:48 GMT
< Content-Length: 323
< Connection: close
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
< 
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>503 Service Temporarily Unavailable</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Service Temporarily Unavailable</h1>
<p>The server is temporarily unable to service your
request due to maintenance downtime or capacity
problems. Please try again later.</p>
</body></html>
* Closing connection 0

and

*   Trying 37.191.226.104...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to keys.gnupg.net (37.191.226.104) port 80 (#0)
> GET /pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x465022E743D71E39 HTTP/1.1
> Host: keys.gnupg.net
> User-Agent: curl/7.61.0
> Accept: */*
> 
< HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
< Server: nginx/1.12.2
< Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:06:32 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html
< Content-Length: 185
< Connection: keep-alive
< Keep-Alive: timeout=20
< Location: https://analytics.sumptuouscapital.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x465022E743D71E39
< 
<html>
<head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx/1.12.2</center>
</body>
</html>
* Connection #0 to host keys.gnupg.net left intact

respectively.

ewaller wrote:
Enrico1989 wrote:

DNS; this solution is the less viable, since it means I've to study a lot about it (at the moment DNS for me is Direct Numerical Simulation, which is certainly not the case).

I havent had time to check it yet. But I'll do!

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-08-20 13:12:10)

#19 2018-08-20 17:37:18

mrunion
Website

That file didn't exist for me either. I was tired of fiddling with systemd-networkd and just installed Network Manager and everything started working without trouble. I'm positive I could have dug into and fixed the issue using systemd-networkd, but I had no time to maintain this particular VBox install like that and just switched to Network Manager and moved on. YMMV.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#20 2018-08-21 13:44:59

Enrico1989

mrunion wrote:

I was tired of fiddling with systemd-networkd and just installed Network Manager and everything started working without trouble.

I'm not using the former too (I use ConnMan, instead), but before switching to the latter you suggest, I'm trying to understand the problem with the current state of my system.

ewaller wrote:
Enrico1989 wrote:

I've finally read this all, and it seems that I can resolve domain names. After having read other sources as well (some of which suggesting to specify a custom port for the `--keyserver` option), I tried to force the DNS through my router's config page, by setting IPv4 static DNS to enabled, and 8.8.8.8 as the preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the alternate one, but I still get the same error when I run

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4C3CE98F9579981C21CA1EC3465022E743D71E39

namely

and not

gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available

which seems two different things to me.

Btw, since network managers tend to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf, it could be useful to post here the content of that file,

# Generated by Connection Manager
nameserver ::1
nameserver 127.0.0.1

Btw2, maybe I've misundertood something (which is possibly not sctricly needed that I understand, but I'd like to anyway), but while I read that, for instance www.howtogeek.com's IP addresses is 23.92.23.113, the command

getent hosts www.howtogeek.com

returns

151.101.2.15    howtogeek.map.fastly.net www.howtogeek.com
151.101.66.15   howtogeek.map.fastly.net www.howtogeek.com
151.101.130.15  howtogeek.map.fastly.net www.howtogeek.com
151.101.194.15  howtogeek.map.fastly.net www.howtogeek.com

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-08-21 13:57:18)

#21 2018-08-21 14:07:42

Enrico1989

Another step is done, in that adding the following two leading lines

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

to `/etc/resolv.conf` allowed me to succesfully import the required key, but I'd like you to help me understand why setting those DNS-related settings in my previous post didn't work; maybe they get overwritten by the configuration file?

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-08-21 14:22:31)

Board footer