You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-27 09:11:30

Gruntz

[ SOLVED ] SSD locked. Rebooted during cell clearing process.

Hello all,

I was doing cell clearing of my SSD on my laptop as described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So … l_clearing

I am doing that for years, never gone bad, but this time I rebooted the PC during the erase-enhanced procedure. Now I cannot boot, as the drive is Locked at bios. I cannot choose boot device, I cannot enter into BIOS config. The password that I enter in hdparm --security-set-pass do not work. The password is just a simple "p" letter.

I tried to boot form the HDD ( my second disk in the laptop ) and hot-plug the SSD, as I use AHCI, but it not discovered by arch live CD. ( i do not know if i have to force the OS to discover new devices :S )

My laptop is Lenovo idea pad Y580, from 2012, and the ssd is some old 30G samsung that came with the laptop.

Is there a way to fix this, or I bricked the ssd?

Best regards.

hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass PasSWorD /dev/sdX

Last edited by Gruntz (2018-08-17 07:57:57)

#2 2018-05-27 09:20:33

frostschutz

Re: [ SOLVED ] SSD locked. Rebooted during cell clearing process.

If you want to clear all cells of SSD you can simply do with "blkdiscard /dev/deleteallmydata" and done. It's completely risk free, provided the drive supports TRIM.

If you use fstrim, there is no point at all in doing any additional clearing. All that would do is waste additional write cycles once you copy your data back to it afterwards.

If ATA Security no longer works, you could try your luck with PSID Revert if your SSD supports that (probably only self encrypting drives do so no luck with older SSDs). This is like a 32 digit code that's printed on the label of the SSD which allows you to reset the drive while erasing all data. I have never actually tried this myself.

I bricked the ssd?

It's possible. I never set drive passwords, this is an ancient system that deserves to die, so easy to lock yourself out, you find cases like this in every tech related forum.

Well, these things dropped in price a lot thankfully so it might be a good time to upgrade.

Last edited by frostschutz (2018-05-27 09:22:22)

#3 2018-05-29 15:29:00

Gruntz

In the archlinux wiki there is a warning not to do what i have done big_smile

Warning: If you have a Lenovo laptop, do not reboot it after this step. Certain variants of Lenovo's BIOS are susceptible to use a deviating algorithm for calculating the encryption key. After startup the machine will not be able to connect the SSD drive.[2]

Is there a way to revert this :S

#4 2018-08-17 07:57:41

Gruntz

Hello all.

FYI

I got a new 64GB ssd from aliexpress. I bricked it too big_smile

I don`t know how, but this time, when I inserted the SSD during grub, and proceeded with the boot i was able to detect the SSD. I fixed it by removing the security pass ( this is the 64GB )

After that i decided to try this with my old 32GB ssd, and it worked too.

So now i have two working SSD.

I tryed this method ( inserting ssd into the laptop during GRUB timeout wait ) and it didn`t worked. This time i was lucky.

Best regards.

Board footer