You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-09 13:05:27

damjan

KDE/Plasma inconsistent screen locking

I'm running plasma 5.13 on ArchLinux. I've been battling this for a while - as far as I can remember 5.11, 5.12 and still 5.13 have the issue, probably longer.

Screen lock is inconsistent in that if I close the lid of my laptop, sometimes when I resume the screen lock is not enabled.

Also sometimes when I unlock the screen, I enter the correct password, screen is unlocked, but another screen lock appears (I suspect this happens after a suspend that didn't lock the screen, as if was queued). Also sometimes I click on the "Leave…" desktop menu entry, and instead of the "Leave" screen (logout, reboot, shutdown) it shows the lock screen and I have to enter password and then it shows the Leave screen.

Any ideas how to further debug this?

#2 2018-08-17 18:00:11

damjan

Re: KDE/Plasma inconsistent screen locking

Seems to be related to something in Chromium.

When I'd close Chromium screen locking was consistently working. Pin-pointing what exactly in Chromium caused this issue would be harder.

Last edited by damjan (2018-08-17 18:01:09)

#3 2018-08-17 20:07:57

thewall

Hi, I'm a Plasma user since a while and I never experienced this. May I ask what login manager you are using? I remember that a long time ago I was using GNOME3 and I tried to replace GDM. This lead to weird behaviour with the lockscreen and the login window.
FYI I am using sddm with Plasma. No chromium, only firefox.

#4 2018-08-18 13:34:40

damjan

I use sddm.

ps.
also, I only use X11, no wayland

Last edited by damjan (2018-08-18 13:39:15)

#5 2018-08-18 14:52:52

thewall

damjan wrote:

I use sddm.

ps.
also, I only use X11, no wayland

Mmmm exactly the same as me.
Anyway I remembered about something. To lock the screen I am not using the App menu in plasma or the default keyboard shortcut, but a custom script associated to a custom shortcut (Meta+L). I did this because I want my monitor to be always active normally, while to almost immediately go in energy saving mode when Plasma is locked. It can be a good point to start debugging your problem.
Here is my script.

#!/bin/bash
LOCK="qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /ScreenSaver Lock"
CHECK="qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /ScreenSaver GetActive"

eval $LOCK
xset s 10
while [ `eval $CHECK` == "true" ]
do
  sleep 5
done
xset s off
exit 0

Some explanation:
'eval $LOCK' simply locks the Plasma session. The 'xset s 10' sets the timeout for monitor energy saving to 10 seconds. While the 'CHECK' is valid the setting is kept. As soon as the 'CHECK' is not valid (screen unlocked by entering password) the timeout is removed with 'xset s off'.

Try to play around with the commands. Like: lock your screen and open a TTY, run the CHECK command and look at the result. Or just use the script and see if it is a workaround to your problem smile

Hope it helps.

#6 2018-08-18 17:50:08

waitnsea

thewall wrote:

Hope it helps.

It helps, thank you

Board footer