You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-21 16:57:46

texmansru47

Grub-Install - failure - "appears to contain a ufs2 filesystem error

The full error is:

"grub-install: error: hostdisk//dev/sda appears to contain a ufs2 filesystem which isn't known to reserve space for DOS-style boot. Installing GRUB there could result in FILESYSTEM DESTRUCTION if valuable data is overwritten by grub-setup (--skip-fs-probe disables this check, use at your own risk)."

each time I do the installation of Arch Linux I get this.  I can't seem to get past it.  I have seen several of posts about this very error but no real resolutions.  Please do not submit the video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LgdfoN7b2Q"  it does not work since when I try to reboot the fstab file is zero.  To me this is something that should be fixed from the development side since it is happening quite a bit from the reports I see.  I am trying to evaluate Arch Linux but I cannot seem to get past this glitch. 

Any ideas for an actual solution?  Sorry if there is one posted but there are thousands of "Grub" issues on here and I truly stopped reviewing after about 133 pages of errors.

#2 2018-08-21 17:33:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Grub-Install - failure - "appears to contain a ufs2 filesystem error

What filesystem is on /dev/sda? And what does a youtube video have to do with this?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-08-21 18:30:47

texmansru47

Re: Grub-Install - failure - "appears to contain a ufs2 filesystem error

The base installation are the file systems the format is ext4 as directed to be on the installation... That video has been posted like 25 times as a "solution" to this issue but it is not.  I am trying to complete the installation so there is no data on this system as of yet.  The partitions are:

/dev/sda1 BOOT 20G
/dev/sda2 SWAP  2G
/dev/sda5 Extended 300G

all ext4 format.

I cannot get past the failing "grup-install /dev/sda" command.  Which is on a different device than what I am using today.

Board footer