You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-22 00:49:54

headkase

Valve Releases New Steam Play, Proton (WINE-fork) Included

See: Steam Play for Linux Beta.

I think this is exciting news.  The open source ecosystem has practically everything except high quality commercial games.  This changes that, all of a sudden the floodgates are opening to Linux users for gaming choices.  Some may think this is a bad thing, as it may "delay or stop native Linux versions of games" but I don't think that's the point.  What I think is the point is that all those legacy Windows games that would never have come to Linux anyway can now be played without Windows.  To belabour the point, this could be a tipping-point to push Linux into wider adoption.

#2 2018-08-22 01:05:27

stanna

Re: Valve Releases New Steam Play, Proton (WINE-fork) Included

I tried PUBG first thing, wouldnt work due to the anticheat software not installing and running or something like that. I then tried No Mans Sky which just shows a black screen with sound. I know these are not part of the initial list of games "supported" but i thought i would give them a try.

as soon as i can trick steam into installing GTAV onto another drive i will be giving it a shot but its just to big for my /home partition at the moment

Last edited by stanna (2018-08-22 01:22:44)

#3 2018-08-22 12:49:18

headkase

I've been using Lutris ( https://lutris.net/ ) for Windows games.  It works pretty good and comes with a community of existing installer scripts.  I have Prey 2017, DOOM 2016, Skyrim Special Edition, etc, running fine with it.  I'm using the open-source AMDGPU drivers on an R9 380 4GB as well which really impresses me that that can run those games well.

For GTAV you could probably make some kind of symbolic link.  The tricky thing is that the folder wouldn't exist until you tried to install it.  If you wanted to move your entire Steam library to another drive then you can definitely symlink the main games folder.

I will be keeping an eye on Proton though, just the fact it is now a thing is awesome.  smile

Last edited by headkase (2018-08-22 12:50:24)

#4 2018-08-22 13:15:31

UndeadKernel

Steam play (proton) requires a few dependencies that are not available in the repos or the AUR. See this website for details.
It seems that we need LLVM7 and mesa 18.2.

#5 2018-08-22 13:28:01

progandy

mesa 18.2 is not stable yet. I guess 18.2.1 it should be released in the next few weeks, since the final release canditate is planned for today: https://www.mesa3d.org/release-calendar.html
LLVM7 is planned for the first week of September: https://llvm.org/

In the AUR you can try to use mesa-git and llvm-svn, this should be also available in the unofficial mesa-git repository.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#6 2018-08-22 13:59:53

drcouzelis
Website

Oh man... I started enjoying Steam games on Arch Linux within the past year, and now have a fun little collection of about a dozen native Linux games. I think the only game I've been dying to play that isn't available for Linux is Cuphead, so I may have to check this out! big_smile

stanna wrote:

as soon as i can trick steam into installing GTAV onto another drive i will be giving it a shot but its just to big for my /home partition at the moment

I don't understand... I just did this, after buying a new 4 TB storage drive. It's literally just a few clicks in the Steam GUI to change the "installation folder" setting. I wouldn't exactly call it a "tricking Steam"... tongue

#7 2018-08-22 14:02:06

headkase

drcouzelis wrote:
stanna wrote:

I don't understand... I just did this, after buying a new 4 TB storage drive. It's literally just a few clicks in the Steam GUI to change the "installation folder" setting. I wouldn't exactly call it a "tricking Steam"... tongue

D'oh.  I didn't even think of that.

#8 2018-08-23 12:09:40

Tom B
Website

Is there any way to override the game whitelist and test out proton  with different games? Edit: I should pay more attention. You can go into settings > steam play and allow any games.

On the larger topic. Linux gaming was given some huge publicity by Linus Tech Tips recently. He did an episode with Level1Linux. It does seem that Linux gaming is at least going to be a known option for the mainstream.

Last edited by Tom B (2018-08-23 12:14:59)

#9 2018-08-23 14:03:22

headkase

Tom B wrote:

On the larger topic. Linux gaming was given some huge publicity by Linus Tech Tips recently. He did an episode with Level1Linux. It does seem that Linux gaming is at least going to be a known option for the mainstream.

Is this the video you mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgI1mkx6iw ?

#10 2018-08-23 14:04:27

Tom B
Website

headkase wrote:
Tom B wrote:

Is this the video you mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgI1mkx6iw ?

Yeah, that's it. They've also discussed it in various live streams.

#11 2018-08-24 11:06:49

headkase

Ominous wrote:

Please forgive any mistakes......i'm a noob.

Question:
I want to try using proton on my arch.
How do I do that?

yaourt steam

gives a big list.....I installed a package named

steam-manjaro

from the multilib repository and it works.......I've played native linux games from steam using it

I found a package

proton

when I did

yaourt proton

......I installed that package...........

what should i do to get steam + proton to try out windows games?

Install Steam from the official repository.  Then in Steam go to Steam -> Settings -> Account -> Beta Participation.  Enrol in that.  The Steam client will update and then you will have access to Proton.  Make sure to enable Steam Play for all games if you want to play other than the tested games.

Edit: Context.

Last edited by headkase (2018-08-25 01:28:56)

#12 2018-08-25 04:53:39

headkase

Here is a good writeup surrounding Steam Play and Proton when it comes to Linux in general.

#13 2018-08-25 23:10:41

headkase

Lutris is complementary with Steam Play.  I use Lutris to manage Windows versions of my GOG games for example.  Prey 2017, DOOM 2016, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Skyrim SE, were just a few I had running with Lutris' various runners.  It's pretty much automatic and installation scripts are readily available.  Steam (Runtime!) is great, and where it's not great Lutris is.   Together Linux gaming has never been better.

Lutris.

#14 2018-08-29 18:23:27

LyCC

I have tried the AUR package, but currently its far worst then crossover (at least on my setup, 750Ti, has in theory Vulkan support),
On crossover: Tropico 5 runs fine (small glitch with the water), STALKER trilogy runs fine (the rest I occasionally play has linux version - thank you Valve and others).
With wine and the proton package (at this date): Tropico loads till the menu, but crashed whenever trying to start a game, STALKER doesn't even start.

Last edited by LyCC (2018-08-29 18:24:13)

#15 2018-08-29 21:03:15

headkase

LyCC wrote:

I have tried the AUR package, but currently its far worst then crossover (at least on my setup, 750Ti, has in theory Vulkan support),
On crossover: Tropico 5 runs fine (small glitch with the water), STALKER trilogy runs fine (the rest I occasionally play has linux version - thank you Valve and others).
With wine and the proton package (at this date): Tropico loads till the menu, but crashed whenever trying to start a game, STALKER doesn't even start.

I used to use PlayOnLinux, my crossover license lapsed, and never go full command-line WINE.  As I've been hammering in this thread though: Using Steam with the Runtime (not native!) has given myself good results.  I did have to switch to an X11 session though as Wayland sessions would hang dxvk games.  Proton is still new and already works well for many people, Steam runtime is awesome and where it isn't Lutris is.

#16 2018-08-30 01:14:05

drcouzelis
Website

FYI, this appears to be an unofficial running list of working titles: https://redd.it/99dsda

Last edited by drcouzelis (2018-08-30 01:14:15)

Board footer