You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-24 14:32:04

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

Hi guys. I love arch but it doesnt compare to gentoo in terms of the many flavors of kernels available. Now I dont want to start a flame war or whatnot but I want to bring some *spice* over to my arch install.

As thats been said, I know the maintainers for two awesome gentoo based kernels - NO-SOURCES and EMISSION-SOURCES. Seeing as beyond and archck are the only choices for kernels other than vanilla ARCH, I want to know how many users would want to try these kernels.

If there is enough interest I might submit packages to AUR for these kernels and then we can see where they go.

thanks

Please post in this thread along with your votes


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

#2 2006-07-24 15:51:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: London, UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,428
Website

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

Well, surely you have noticed we work on a basis of open user contribution?  If even just you yourself would like access to the kernels then by ALL means make some PKGBUILDs and get them in the AUR.  If they prove popular in the AUR some poor soul (maybe even yourself) will get the dubious and largely thankless task of trying to maintain them for the baying masses in [community].

Personally I think this post, and poll, are much more likely to produce flammage than decent stats.  I dislike the "Arch kernels are boring" undertone (especially when we have our "own" patchset) and my initial thoughts were along the line of "why not just go back to gentoo".

HOWEVER!  That's not very neighbourly is it?  My advice would be along the lines of stop waving the gentoo flag quite so much and just try and creep the the bits of gentoo you like in the backdoor.  People are much less resistant to that approach and often surprise themselves by how interested they are.

I think it's a great idea...but I won't use them tongue

Offline

#3 2006-07-24 16:09:51

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

dtw wrote:

Well, surely you have noticed we work on a basis of open user contribution?  If even just you yourself would like access to the kernels then by ALL means make some PKGBUILDs and get them in the AUR.  If they prove popular in the AUR some poor soul (maybe even yourself) will get the dubious and largely thankless task of trying to maintain them for the baying masses in [community].

Personally I think this post, and poll, are much more likely to produce flammage than decent stats.  I dislike the "Arch kernels are boring" undertone (especially when we have our "own" patchset) and my initial thoughts were along the line of "why not just go back to gentoo".

HOWEVER!  That's not very neighbourly is it?  My advice would be along the lines of stop waving the gentoo flag quite so much and just try and creep the the bits of gentoo you like in the backdoor.  People are much less resistant to that approach and often surprise themselves by how interested they are.

I think it's a great idea...but I won't use them tongue

Wow. Didnt realize I was waving the gentoo flag that much. Just trying to bring the stuff I liked about gentoo into my new distro arch. That isnt bad is it? Also the other reason Im thinking of doing this is because only the beyond kernel seems to have suspend-2-swap patched and yet it doesnt work properly.

Im sorry if my post's undertone offended you as it wasnt meant to be like that. Im hear in a friendly capacity to just inquire/probe the community to see what they like.

But if thats a clear indication of what arch users want then I can just forget the idea and wait patiently till the next beyond kernel.

thanks for your time.


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

#4 2006-07-24 16:25:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: London, UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,428
Website

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

Funny how you can give people a whole paragraph to read but they only take certain things away from it, eh?

if thats a clear indication of what arch users want

You say that in a negative way yet I said:

I think it's a great idea

...for Arch in general.  And I strongly encouraged you to go right ahead and do what you have suggested.

Utterly aside from all that...

In defense of -beyond, as iphitus doesn't post here ATM: Yes, -beyond has some problems occassionally but Iph also has a busy life at a pivotal point.  I know that he is planning a new release of -beyond and I'm sure most agree that he does a fine job of providing timely fixes.

HOWEVER, as I already said, if you think you can bring something better to Arch then feel free - it's what the AUR is for!

Offline

#5 2006-07-24 16:52:10

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

dtw wrote:

Funny how you can give people a whole paragraph to read but they only take certain things away from it, eh?

if thats a clear indication of what arch users want

You say that in a negative way yet I said:

I think it's a great idea

...for Arch in general.  And I strongly encouraged you to go right ahead and do what you have suggested.

Utterly aside from all that...

In defense of -beyond, as iphitus doesn't post here ATM: Yes, -beyond has some problems occassionally but Iph also has a busy life at a pivotal point.  I know that he is planning a new release of -beyond and I'm sure most agree that he does a fine job of providing timely fixes.

HOWEVER, as I already said, if you think you can bring something better to Arch then feel free - it's what the AUR is for!

First let me apologize. I misunderstood what you meant.

Secondly I think iphitus does a great job with beyond. I have used his kernel before.

I think I might just try out the other kernerls in arch to see how they perform etc. If I think others might benefit then I will make an AUR package. After all linux is all about the choice.


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

#6 2006-07-24 17:28:38

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: London, UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,428
Website

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

djpharoah wrote:

I think I might just try out the other kernerls in arch to see how they perform etc. If I think others might benefit then I will make an AUR package. After all linux is all about the choice.

Sounds great - I'll be keen to see how they go.

Offline

#7 2006-07-24 17:35:57

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

dtw wrote:
djpharoah wrote:

I think I might just try out the other kernerls in arch to see how they perform etc. If I think others might benefit then I will make an AUR package. After all linux is all about the choice.

Sounds great - I'll be keen to see how they go.

Sweet!!

Im kinda leaning towards Emission-Sources as they are a bit more stable minded, where as No-Sources is performance oriented.

Will definitely post my findings when I get home.


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

#8 2006-07-24 18:32:37

barebones
Member
Registered: 2006-04-30
Posts: 235

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

I'd love to see a new kernel. Also, if you need any testers, I'd be willing to help out there.

Offline

#9 2006-07-24 18:44:21

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

barebones wrote:

I'd love to see a new kernel. Also, if you need any testers, I'd be willing to help out there.

awesome. Will get started on it asap - actually when I get home from work.


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

#10 2006-07-24 19:35:36

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: London, UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,428
Website

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

Someone is already posting about emissions...check before you reinvent something...

Offline

#11 2006-07-24 19:40:56

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

dtw wrote:

Someone is already posting about emissions...check before you reinvent something...

Oh yeah. Thats my buddy viper. I know him from irc. Infact I have talked to him and the other maintainer(s) about doing this.

Anywho.. His thread goes about installing emission-sources manually, where-as I plan to make it AUR - thus installable/removable via pacman.


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

#12 2006-07-24 22:15:08

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: London, UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,428
Website

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

You're cool for school then!

Offline

#13 2006-07-25 10:26:06

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

Ok. Well I got home and installed 2.6.17-no2 which has some nice patches. However after installing that did I realize that I couldnt install wifi-drivers for the kernel from pacman nor could I install video drivers for the kernel.

So till I figure that out , Im currently using beyond kernel trying to get hibernation to work.


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

#14 2006-07-25 15:23:57

barebones
Member
Registered: 2006-04-30
Posts: 235

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

I would think that all you would need to do to get wifi and nvidia drivers to work would be to recompile them against the new kernel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the nvidia-beyond package is just the regular one built against the beyond kernel, isn't it?

Offline

#15 2006-07-25 15:32:22

djpharoah
Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2006-06-18
Posts: 185

Re: Interest Check: Kernels from Gentoo over to Arch

barebones wrote:

I would think that all you would need to do to get wifi and nvidia drivers to work would be to recompile them against the new kernel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the nvidia-beyond package is just the regular one built against the beyond kernel, isn't it?

Yes. You are correct. The ati, nvidia and certain wifi packages have to be modded to work with emission-sources.

The ati-fglrx package is already up on AUR thanks to VINS. Keep an eye out on AUR for nvidia packages, the madwifi packages etc.

If there are any packages you think might need to be ported over to the emission-sources, post them here.


IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB