You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-24 14:08:59

djpharoah

[Advice] ATI FireGL and 3D Performance

Hi. I have an ATi Mobility FireGL T2 128MB (9600P based core) in my laptop (IBM T41p).

I have installed the ati-fglrx drivers and am currently wondering if I did the right thing? Should I be using the binary ati drivers or the opensource drivers to get the most performance? I should mention that my gpu is based on the R350/360 core. If so are there special tweaks/hacks to get either one working better?

I just saw that in glxgears (I know its not a benchmark) I score about ~1900. That score totally sucks. I have seen the Radeon 9200 get more in the glxgears thread on this forums. Although I know nvidia drivers are better than ati's at the moment for linux, I cant help but want to extract more from my gpu.

Any ideas, suggestions and comments would be appreaciated.

IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

#2 2006-07-24 14:28:15

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [Advice] ATI FireGL and 3D Performance

I haven't done a comparison in a looong time, but last I heard the proprietary drivers were better for r3xx stuff than the open-source drivers.  That may have changed in the last little while, and all I can do is suggest you try both out and see which works better on your system.

For the oss drivers, you'll need the libgl-dri and xf86-video-ati packages.  libgl-dri conflicts with ati-fglrx-utils, so you can't have them both installed at once, unfortunately.

#3 2006-07-24 14:33:51

djpharoah

Cerebral wrote:

I haven't done a comparison in a looong time, but last I heard the proprietary drivers were better for r3xx stuff than the open-source drivers.  That may have changed in the last little while, and all I can do is suggest you try both out and see which works better on your system.

For the oss drivers, you'll need the libgl-dri and xf86-video-ati packages.  libgl-dri conflicts with ati-fglrx-utils, so you can't have them both installed at once, unfortunately.

Well I printed out instructions from a thread on these forums on how to do ati with dri. I might try that when I get home.

Anyone else with any experiance?

#4 2006-07-25 01:16:23

ducttapeBigSexy
Website

I've run both the open-source drivers and the offical ati ones - if you're doing any OpenGL stuff, go the offical ones.  ATI's drivers for Linux suck compared to nVidia's, but they're better then nothing.

If you're not doing any OpenGL stuff, the only difference I noticed was the font size (which is fixable by changing the DisplaySize in xorg.conf)

#5 2006-07-25 10:27:34

djpharoah

ducttapeBigSexy wrote:

I've run both the open-source drivers and the offical ati ones - if you're doing any OpenGL stuff, go the offical ones.  ATI's drivers for Linux suck compared to nVidia's, but they're better then nothing.

If you're not doing any OpenGL stuff, the only difference I noticed was the font size (which is fixable by changing the DisplaySize in xorg.conf)

I tried both and for some reason I could only get Direct rendering with the official ATI drivers. So I guess Im sticking with those.

Board footer