You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-08 15:48:40

brainplot

Question about systemd-boot and /etc/fstab

Hi,

I've just switched away from GRUB and installed systemd-boot and set it as my bootloader. This is how I configured my Archlinux entry:

title   Arch Linux
linux   /vmlinuz-linux
initrd  /intel-ucode.img
initrd  /initramfs-linux.img
options root=LABEL=Root quiet splash nvidia-drm.modeset=1

Everything seems to work just fine, except that every time I boot up my system, I get the following warning:

********************** WARNING **********************
*  The root device is not configured to be mounted  *
*  read-write! It may be fsck'd again later.        *

The Archwiki says that I should append 'rw' to the root label in the options entry. Now, that "rw" reminds me of the things found in the /etc/fstab file. Mine looks like this:

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# /dev/sda5 LABEL=Root
UUID=544dc3c4-c00f-4872-8b5f-3882fd0a6f22       /               ext4           rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1

# /dev/sda2
UUID=92E2-046A          /boot           vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro       0 2

I tried to omitted "rw" in options thinking that it would pick what the fstab says but apparently that's not the case.
My question is: should I append ONLY "rw" to the options entry as the wiki says or should I append all of the things found in the fstab file (i.e. rw,relatime,data=ordered)?

Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by brainplot (2018-09-08 15:49:09)

#2 2018-09-08 15:55:52

Lone_Wolf

Re: Question about systemd-boot and /etc/fstab

ONLY rw.

Fstab is not avaliable at that stage in the boot process and the other options are not needed until later.

You might also want to remove quiet atleast temporarily so you will get more info.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-09-08 15:57:53)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer