You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 04:51:36

wwindexx

partitioning space not listed by fdisk or parted

Hello! This community's reputation has given me the courage to attempt my first Arch install! Following the instructions in the installation guide, I made it as far as the partitioning step. When I run "fdisk -l" I see my windows partitions listed (not as /dev/sdx as I'm used to seeing) as /dev/nvme0n1px. I just did a fresh Win 10 install and left half of my SSD free for this Arch install. I don't see the unallocated space label that I'm used to seeing in GUI apps like gparted. How do I know where to start making my new partitions? I ran "parted -l" and I'm not seeing that space either.

EDIT: I discovered the "free" command in parted listed my 124GB Free space but I still haven't figured out how to write my home, swap, and root partitions to that space.
Running "fdisk /dev/nvme0n1p4" and then F to list unpartitioned space returns "fdisk: libfdisk/src/table.c:414: new_freespace: Assertion 'start >= cxt->first_lba' failed.
[1] 14784 abort (core dumped) fdisk /dev/nvme0n1p4".
Running the n command for a new partition, and then p for primary (3 primary, 0 extended, 1 free) returns "No free partition available!"

Last edited by wwindexx (2018-09-15 05:40:26)

#2 2018-09-15 06:31:39

Slithery
Administrator

Re: partitioning space not listed by fdisk or parted

Try using cgdisk.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2018-09-15 15:01:55

V1del
Forum Moderator

They way nvme devices are named is the following: nvme + #devicenr.(think sd[a-z]) + n +#namespacenr (a nvme specific "partition" were you can set different parameters) + p + "traditional" partition number (think sdaX)

For most home purposes it is likely fine to simply use the default namespace, so the granularity at which you want to define partitions at is the namespace. So your fdisk command should be

fdisk /dev/nvme0n1

the p part are your actual partitions and they will get added as you add new partitions.

#4 2018-09-16 12:37:55

Lone_Wolf

wwindexx wrote:

Running the n command for a new partition, and then p for primary (3 primary, 0 extended, 1 free) returns "No free partition available!"

That and other info in post #1 indicates the ssd uses GPT instead of MBR.

The explanation given by V1del is accurate, just use gdisk or cgdisk instead of fdisk/cfdisk .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer