You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 21:59:19

mgdobachesky

Mouse cursor loading in bottom-right at login??

Hey guys,

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while and I am just not sure what is causing this issue. The intended behavior is that the mouse cursor loads in the center of the screen when logging into my desktop environment. However, for some reason my mouse cursor began rendering in the bottom-right a little while ago.
When I first boot up my computer, and GDM starts, the mouse cursor renders in the bottom-right. Likewise, after I log in via GDM it loads my desktop with the mouse in the bottom-right again.
I am using Wayland with GDM and GNOME, however the mouse still loads in the bottom-right on Xorg. Additionally, I did try out KDE a little while ago and if I remember correctly (and I might not) then the mouse was still loading in the bottom-right.
I suspect that the issue could have to do with my a setting/error in my video driver(s) (Mesa & Nouveau). However, assuming the recollection about my KDE experience is false then it could even be a GDM/GNOME configuration issue, or even a bug,

I was hoping that one of you guys would have some insight as to of why this is happening, and hopefully a fix to get the cursor to load in the center as intended.

**EDIT**
NOTE: The ideal solution in this situation would be to have the cursor load in the center of the screen when first logging in, rather than loading in the bottom-right and then being moved to the center by an outside tool.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Last edited by mgdobachesky (2018-09-16 02:44:15)

#2 2018-09-16 01:21:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Mouse cursor loading in bottom-right at login??

mgdobachesky wrote:

The intended behavior is that the mouse cursor loads in the center of the screen...

What makes you think that is the intended behavior?  If that's what you want, I'd say set the cursor position using any one of dozens of tools that will do that, though you've already rejected that idea.  I'm not sure what kind of fix you would accept if you want to set the cursor position but will reject any proposal of a tool that sets the cursor position.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-09-16 02:41:25

mgdobachesky

As for why I believe that is the intended behavior: I have used gnome for a few years and the mouse cursor has always loaded in the center of the screen. Additionally, when I boot up other distributions (even other Arch Linux installs) the mouse cursor loads in the center of the screen.

I didn't mean to reject any other ideas; I just meant that the ideal solution in this situation would be to have the cursor load in the center of the screen when first logging in, rather than loading in the bottom-right and then being moved to the center by an outside tool.

If you know of any tools that will allow me to set the mouse cursor position when first logging in, then I would be very grateful to hear of them.

Sorry about the confusion, I have edited my initial post in an attempt to help clear it up

Last edited by mgdobachesky (2018-09-16 02:45:48)

#4 2018-09-16 02:45:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

xdotool would probably be the easiest.  If you were to use startx/xinit you could put an xdotool command right before launching your WM in ~/.xinitrc.  I'm not sure where the equivalent would be for a DM.  But it should be able to be run before the WM.

EDIT: though I just did some quick testing, and while I don't know that it is defined anywhere as the expected behavior, every time I restart X the cursor is right in the middle.  So it does sound like something else on your system may be changing the position.  Do you run an xrandr command or similar change of the display resolution?

Last edited by Trilby (2018-09-16 02:47:17)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-09-16 02:54:19

mgdobachesky

That solution sounds like it could be very effective. I'll check out xdotool for use with my WM in xinitrc, and I'll see if I can figure out how to use it with my DM as well. Thank you for the tip!

- Mike

#6 2018-09-16 02:58:41

mgdobachesky

I don't directly run anything that changes the display resolution, but I suppose it could be possible that another package I am running might. I will have to look into that because I see how it could affect the cursor position

#7 2018-09-16 11:18:14

seth

GDM is likely still running on wayland? What if you make it run on Xorg?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GD … rg_backend

#8 2018-09-16 14:42:39

mgdobachesky

I am running on Wayland. However, the issue persists on Xorg.

Last edited by mgdobachesky (2018-09-16 14:43:15)

#9 2018-09-16 14:48:09

seth

When I first boot up my computer, and GDM starts, the mouse cursor renders in the bottom-right.

It's pretty much likely that GDM moves it there, but I've no idea what could cause this inside GDM.
Did you try to replace it w/ another DM?

#10 2018-09-16 16:31:12

mgdobachesky

I did try sddm a little while ago, and if I recall correctly then that didn't solve the issue either. However I am not positive on this one so I will have to go back and test out another DM again before being sure.
I did notice a few errors that seem like could be related when I ran the command: journalctl -b -p 4
I will also be looking further into those when I get the chance.

Last edited by mgdobachesky (2018-09-16 16:31:49)

#11 2018-09-17 19:46:33

Amphitryon

My suspicion is that it is something GNOME-specific doing this, maybe gnome-shell or mutter.  I have observed the same mouse pointer near the bottom right behaviour and I just tested by choosing "weston" as my session instead of GNOME (from GDM) and this time the mouse pointer was near the top left.

Board footer