You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 18:43:44

oz

Recent update broke touchpad on Chromebook

Some update in the last couple of days has made the touchpad almost non-responsive. I have to press the whole pad of my finger down on it hard to even move the mouse. The hardware buttons (LMB, MMB, RMB; actual buttons, not "tap") also aren't working or I have to press and hold them for a really long time and rarely they will work. The various "tap" actions rarely work at all (two-finger, three-finger, and two-finger scroll).

This is an ASUS C302 Chromebook. This is a SkyLake machine with "Elan" touchpad and touchscreen (the touchscreen seems to work OK). I'm using XFCE but the DE doesn't really matter because it's the same in all. Mouse/touchpad settings in the DE do nothing for this.

Anyone know what is going on?

Seems like it's losing events or something. This is literally an update done maybe either today or yesterday. I haven't touched anything on the machine. I "pacman -Syu" updated, rebooted, and now the touchpad is very hard to use. Seems very likely that the upgrade broke something.

Maybe a problem with the 4.18.7 kernel that just came in?

Last edited by oz (2018-09-15 18:52:17)

#2 2018-09-16 02:46:48

oz

Re: Recent update broke touchpad on Chromebook

I believe this is a regression in libinput or something related to it. libinput was upgraded today from 1.11.3 to 1.12.0.

Ugh, this is not the first time libinput has broken on an upgrade. Last time it was a synaptics pad that became over-sensitive. This time it's the opposite.

I can sort of make the left and right mouse button work but the middle one doesn't work at all (neither the hardware button or 3-finger work). I tested the pressure sensitivity with "libinput measure" and it's way up there at 30 which is a huge amount of finger pressure on this pad.

In the past I have adjusted the pressure though /etc/udev/hwdb rules but that's not working at all. I put the rule in but it won't pick up the pressure range change.

Last edited by oz (2018-09-16 02:48:24)

#3 2018-09-16 03:02:52

oz

Re: Recent update broke touchpad on Chromebook

Confirmed. Reverting to libinput 1.11.3 fixes everything.

Now do I report to libinput or the ArchLinux maintainers? I'm not sure if it's a configuration problem or a problem in libinput itself. hmm

Board footer