You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-19 21:47:37

KSV7R

Arch user on Mac

Hi,

I hope this is in the correct place.

I have been using Arch Linux for everything for ten years. I am a user of xmonad, urxvt, zsh, tmux, rofi, etc.

Mainly, I have a system that I configured within ten years. I have recently changed my job as a software engineer, and now I must use Mac OS at work. I really can't express how miserable I am with the new system.

Do you have any suggestion(apps, configurations, etc.) for me to get a similar working environment on Mac?

Cheers.

#2 2018-09-19 22:10:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Arch user on Mac

KSV7R wrote:

I really can't express how miserable I am with the new system.

You don't need to.  I'm in the exact same position.

You can set up homebrew and install gnu tools (and even configure them higher in your path to be used by default) as the macOS versions of basic coreutils are almost all severely crippled.  I'm working on compiling busybox on my mac but am hitting dead ends.  If I could use busybox's ash with bb's built in utilities I'd not need any of the gnu replacements, but I think I need to install the gnu tools as a bootstrap to even be able to compile busybox.

Once you have homebrew set up, though, you can install many *nix tools including tmux.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-09-24 18:14:52

Mardukas
Banned

Just wait 'till you find out that you can't copy with ctrl + c. Or that when you press enter when having a folder selected it doesn't open the folder, but starts renaming it.

You're doomed, all these new different things will f you up big time.

#4 2018-09-24 18:28:27

drcouzelis
Website

Trilby wrote:

You can set up homebrew and install gnu tools

To be clear, you are referring to Homebrew? I'd only heard of Fink and MacPorts before, Homebrew looks super handy!

#5 2018-09-24 21:17:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

All three serve the same purpose.  I'd pick one and stick with it.  I think they've each had their heyday, and (I think) today is homebrew's.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer