You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-25 00:31:49

mnpred

dolphin-emu Xorg fullscreen problem

Good afternoon Everyone,

So for years now I have used Dolphin to emulate games on Arch Linux. Because my laptop is so old, I run it using:
$startx /bin/dolphin-emu
Directly from the terminal (which I boot directly into) I do not use a window manager to use my computer most of the time, I simply launch applications directly form the terminal, so for instance, when I want to use Firefox, I just type $startx /bin/firefox.
This way my computer is not using up resources to support a full GUI system with a WM and everything. Anyway, this has worked fine for me for a few years until a few months ago. Now when I try to launch dolphin-emu in this way, it shows up on the other side of my screen, I am no longer able to move it around, and full screen does not work at all, when I try to enter full screen, it only renders to the size of the initial game selection box. The game still runs smoothly, but I do not want to be playing an FPS from a tiny box.

I tried editing the configuration files for both dolphin and Xorg to try and force it into full screen with limited success. Usually I am pretty good at fixing issues with my system but nothing I do seems to work hear. I did break down and set up openbox with only the minimal components it needed to run, but running the game in openbox results in the game being really laggy, so I assume even a lightweight WM like openbox still consumes to many resources for my computer to be able to emulate games smoothly

Does anyone know of a way I can fix this? Ideally I am looking for a way I can run dolphin and only the components it needs to run properly, so that my computer inst using resources that could be used by dolphin. Obviously if I am playing a game in full screen mode, I don't really need anything else running in the background that's not necessary to keep my computer up and running.

#2 2019-04-07 18:34:29

michaeladam

Re: dolphin-emu Xorg fullscreen problem

Hi everyone,

I experience the same problem.
Is this arch only or is it a dolphin problem?

Best regards

Michael

#3 2019-04-08 12:09:31

Lone_Wolf

Re: dolphin-emu Xorg fullscreen problem

Hard to tell without logs and setup details .

Posting xorg log from a "startx /usr/bin/dolphin-emu" command along with lspci -k would be a start.

I did break down and set up openbox with only the minimal components it needed to run,

Dolpin-emu appears to be using Qt, maybe look for a WM that also uses qt ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer