You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-29 23:51:13

Vbaxbear

NixOS and DArch

Greetings Community,

I would like to ask if there are more advanced/established methods than the DArach method in the title (NixOS isn't Arch) that make it possible for the user to setup a system with all desired properties. I don't know how it is called but the provided material seem to make it possible to pre create easy scripts which make it somehow possible to completely setup a system, for example with my desired vim setup and maybe even with plugin manager and plugins pre-installed.

If there is more to know about this topic I would be very happy if you could provide some information. I don't even can say for sure how the method I am looking for is called.

Sry for this unprecise question and thank you in advance for your help.

#2 2018-09-29 23:55:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: NixOS and DArch

1. Install Arch. Elapsed time 15 mins (depending on your internet speed)
2. Clone you configs. Elapsed time 5 mins (" ")

Or just use Darch, if that is what floats your boat. Or Ansible/Puppet/et al...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-09-29 23:56:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I had to google Darch - you might want to tell us what you actually want.  If you want exactly what Darch does, then you need Darch.

If you want a custom iso, read the wiki.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2018-09-30 00:10:58

Vbaxbear

Hmm,
I thought about once configure a system and reuse it when the current is messed up in some way and also supply easy changes to it.
The config cloning thing isn't that easy (atleast I think so), in a system some software has to be installed in a certain order, the configs also need to be created/expanded in this order. Sometimes I can't overwrite an config file (e.g. it contains version constrained information) then I just want to add certain lines in certain places to keep everything working. I could also pre configure The parting of my disc, the initial network connection. My keyboard, language and stuff about terminal emulation, my systemctl startup config. Some personal folder trees.

What I am looking for is in some kind of way the egg-laying-milk-bearing-wooly sow for system setup. Which is easily modifiable.

(Going to bed, will read tomorrow)

Thank you in advance.

#5 2018-09-30 00:18:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Vbaxbear wrote:

I thought about once configure a system and reuse it when the current is messed up

That sounds like a backup.  You should have one.  You should have more than one.

Vbaxbear wrote:

The config cloning thing isn't that easy (atleast I think so), in a system some software has to be installed in a certain order, the configs also need to be created/expanded in this order.

You think wrong.  Order is irrelevant for both installation and configuration.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-09-30 19:45:43

c00ter

The whole thing is presumably about doing something like Project Silverblue or EndlessOS, which use OSTree, gnome-software or Plasma's Discover, flatpak, and fwupd. Fedora is doing it with their Silverblue,  which uses atomic updating/upgrading to maintain an immutable filesystem. It's basically container Linux writ-small; for the desktop. I'm a member of Project Silverblue, hence have gained a little (only a little) bit of information regarding such.

I'm very pleased to learn of Darch: https://godarch.com/test-drive/ and grateful of the mention of it here. I intend to explore it further, since this is the first I've heard of it. Darch's goal is apparently in the same vein, broadcast to several distributions. I believe it is (one of the ) future(s) of Linux. For further information on OSTree:  https://ostree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Last edited by c00ter (2018-09-30 19:49:09)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer