You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-22 12:04:02

spurgelaurels

Crashing Applications - Slack/Mailspring No trace

I've not been able to reproduce this issue manually, but every so often the Slack native client, or Mailspring will just stop working.  They stay open on the desktop, but they're graphically broken (generally taking the image from whatever was previous in that monitor space).

I ran strace on both applications, and they seem to just meander on doing their thing until one moment they just stop doing their thing.  There is nothing in the strace logs that the app hadn't been doing for the last hour.  Debug logs are the same. 

1) Any tips on troubleshooting this, if the logs and strace are useless?

2) Both of these apps (Slack and Mailspring) are Electron apps...  Maybe this is why I'm not seeing crash details in the logs? 

I was hoping that a few upgrades would fix this issue, but no such luck.  In the meantime, I sort of just dealt with it by restarting them every time they crash, but quite often I get slack or email alerts to critical outages or incidents and I need to react right then.  Having to fix my clients before I can even figure out what the issue is generates stress to the highest degree big_smile

#2 2018-09-30 23:12:45

donuon

Re: Crashing Applications - Slack/Mailspring No trace

I'm experiencing a similar issue. For me it occurs when the screen locks, the slack GUI disappears but the it appears to still be running. I have to kill the process and restart slack.

Have never used Mailspring so can't confirm there. I also thought it might be an issue with electron apps. What WM are you using? I'm using i3.

#3 2018-09-30 23:17:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Crashing Applications - Slack/Mailspring No trace

Moving to AUR Issues...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer