You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-01 01:44:31

EruIluvatar

App runs fine when run via optirun, few issues when not using optirun

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what could be causing the discrepancies I see when running an application via optirun (using the onboard Nvidia chip) versus just using the onboard Intel graphics. I'm using an XPS 15 9560, and have bumblebee installed and running to prevent the Nvidia graphics from running when idle.

When I try run a particular application (an AppImage for the xLights application) without optirun (i.e. using the intel graphics) it seems to not render parts of the application properly. For instance, there is a canvas in the app that is meant to show a graphic with a picture of your house and any 'models' you've put on it. This does not display at all when run via the intel graphics (and I can't see any errors occurring when navigating to the area this canvas sits on either).

If I run the same application with optirun (using the Nvidia 1050 in the laptop), that same canvas shows absolutely fine.

I've run through the Intel graphics section of the wiki and tweaked a few things I thought could be causing this, but to no avail.

Has anyone else had any experience with a similar issue?

#2 2018-10-01 12:07:54

EruIluvatar

Re: App runs fine when run via optirun, few issues when not using optirun

I should add this is an AppImage file - I haven’t noticed any similar behaviour with other executables (but I haven’t tested a huge variety)

#3 2018-10-01 12:16:58

V1del
Forum Moderator

Is your actual (intel) session running on wayland or xorg?

#4 2018-10-01 19:50:58

EruIluvatar

V1del wrote:

Is your actual (intel) session running on wayland or xorg?

Should be Xorg - I'm using GDM with Wayland disabled, so hoping that’s forcing everything into Xorg...

Last edited by EruIluvatar (2018-10-01 21:52:43)

Board footer