You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-04 20:08:33

besen

Lexmark X502n Printer driver on arch

Hi,
So I got a Lexmark x502n and want to use it on arch. The Network works and I can access the admin page of the printer in a web browser.
Unfortunatly I couldnt get printing to work. Arch Wiki tells me that Lexmark provides drivers for linux which is true as you can see here:
http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale … 0_SERIES#1
but there are all drivers for old Business Linux and it seems no mather which distro I select it always serves a mvp file which is an archive with 3 .jar's plugin.jar server.jar and mvp_client.jar. The text files in the install folder say something about a plugin for lexmark markvision.
Can you help me with this printer please?

#2 2018-10-05 15:40:25

olive

Re: Lexmark X502n Printer driver on arch

According to http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Lex … mark-X502n this printer does not work under Linux.

#3 2018-10-06 21:48:03

Lone_Wolf

It seems it will work with Redhat 4 and SLES 9, so technically it does work under linux.

Checking the windows versions supported it seems the most recent one is server 2008 .
Hope you got it for free.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2018-10-07 07:47:04

olive

Looking a little further, in the technical guides (see the manual section on the page you mention) they mention a printer driver for Linux which is not the mpv file you find (it is a rpm for Red Hat). Wether that will work for modern day Linux remain to be seen but you can try. You can use Google to find the mentioned file (print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.rpm)

#5 2018-10-07 09:43:09

emwe

Many years ago I was working in printer support, dealing also but not only with Lexmark printers.
First .mvp files are for use with Markvision Professional. This is a Lexmark printer management application, it has nothing to do with printing, only printer management.
We had a question how to install a printer under MacOS (where CUPS is the printing solution), where the manufacturer was not providing drivers for. The answer from the manufacturer very simple, install a generic postscript printer driver, tell it how many trays and output bins the printer has and it should work fine. Another possibility is the get the .ppd file for the printer. The .ppd file is a simple text file describing the capabilities of the printer. As Lexmark is not longer offering any drivers for the X502n you can use a similar actual model like the CX417 download the .ppd files offered for it, edit them to meet your printers capabilities and import it into CUPS by copying the ppd file to the “/usr/share/cups/model” on the computer and then restarting cups.
Forscanning and faxing it is not that simple as Lexmark is offering this for Linuxx for USB-attached printers only. But you may look into the Sane backends if there is a solution for other Lexmark printers. Lexmark changed never the way how  network scanning works. So if you find a solution for another Lexmark printer it should work with yours too. The same is for faxing.

#6 2018-10-12 07:28:00

olive

@emwe But does this printer support PostScript? If this the case, it is usually mentioned in the openprinting page (see my post above).

We can indeed try various generic drivers (usually generic PostScript or generic PCL). These generic drivers are proposed by CUPS when you install a printer, provided the good packages are installed (look for the various foomatic* ; gutenprint ; hplip packages ; make sure ghostscript is installed).

Last edited by olive (2018-10-12 07:28:12)

#7 2018-10-13 04:00:41

emwe

olive wrote:

@emwe But does this printer support PostScript? If this the case, it is usually mentioned in the openprinting page (see my post above).

We can indeed try various generic drivers (usually generic PostScript or generic PCL). These generic drivers are proposed by CUPS when you install a printer, provided the good packages are installed (look for the various foomatic* ; gutenprint ; hplip packages ; make sure ghostscript is installed).

You are right, the X500 series were GDI printers.
You can try then:
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Gen … DI_Printer

Last edited by emwe (2018-10-13 04:27:24)

Board footer