You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-07 20:23:37

stefano

Install/repair CD boots up and then shuts itself down immediately

My home server is not booting up anymore after today's upgrade, complaining it cannot find the UUID of the boot drive. I thought something went wrong in the upgrade, perhaps with the linux package, and tried to fix the issue booting into the Install/Repair CD, mounting everything, chrooting, then reinstalling linux pkg etc.

However, I am not even getting the CD to boot. Or rather, it does boot, but at the very end of the process, just when it is about to produce a login prompt, it starts the shutdown procedure and it goes down. I tried several times, and sometimes the shutdown procedure fails, producing a kernel panic, sometimes it succeeds, flawlessly, resulting in a turned off computer.

The only error message I get is a print_req error, on a sector of sr0, toward the edn of the booting process, even though it seems to be ignored, as the bootup continues, before beginning the shutdown.

Any idea on what may be going wrong? What may be triggering shutdown, perhaps a failing CPU or a temperature issue?

Cheers,

S.

Last edited by stefano (2018-10-07 20:25:26)

#2 2018-10-07 20:37:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Install/repair CD boots up and then shuts itself down immediately

stefano wrote:

perhaps a failing CPU or a temperature issue?

Does sound like a hardware error to me...

Not an Installation issue, moving to Kernel & Hardware.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-10-07 21:16:18

seth

Re: Install/repair CD boots up and then shuts itself down immediately

Did you try downloading the current iso or sth. like grml, dump it onto a usb key and boot that?
Can you boot w/ an acpi=off parameter?

Board footer