You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-05 12:53:26

$nake

[SOLVED] Pacman cannot update mirrors completely, from my uni. network

Each time I try to update my pacman database from my university network, most databases update get stuck before the end.
Typical output (sorry some is in french but I am you sure will recognize pacman output just from the format):

# sudo pacman -Sy

:: Synchronisation des bases de données de paquets…
 core est à jour
 extra                                                                                   1631,0 KiB   565K/s 00:00 [####################################################################-]  99%
erreur : échec de récupération du fichier « extra.db » depuis archlinux.polymorf.fr : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
 extra                                                                                   1609,9 KiB   345K/s 00:00 [###################################################################--]  98%
erreur : échec de récupération du fichier « extra.db » depuis ftp.sh.cvut.cz : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
 extra est à jour
 community                                                                                  4,3 MiB   160K/s 00:01 [################################################################-----]  93%
erreur : échec de récupération du fichier « community.db » depuis archlinux.polymorf.fr : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
 community                                                                                  4,3 MiB  1848K/s 00:00 [################################################################-----]  94%
erreur : échec de récupération du fichier « community.db » depuis ftp.sh.cvut.cz : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
 community est à jour
 multilib                                                                                 173,0 KiB  60,4K/s 00:03 [#####################################################################] 100%
 archlinuxfr est à jour

I can precise that "archlinux.polymorf.fr" is the prefered mirror in my mirrorlist, the "ftp.sh.cvut.cz" just happens to be the following in the file.
For some reason, pacman states that the database is updated ("extra est à jour" means "extra is up to date"), but in facts it is not (at least it does not seem to be, since a subsequent upgrade of my system would complain about wrong version of signed keys for instance).

I can precise also that everything works fine anywhere else I've tried.

Any idea what could be the problem? Is my university network blocking anything? If so, why would the network admin do so, and how come I (apparently) still can partially update my databases?

edit: corrected typos

Last edited by $nake (2018-10-08 19:52:49)

#2 2018-10-05 13:16:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman cannot update mirrors completely, from my uni. network

Update your mirrorlist.  Use better mirrors.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-10-05 13:39:34

$nake

Ok I'll try every suggested for my country and report back.
But I find weird that I have no trouble at home, where the connection is much slower than at my university.

#4 2018-10-06 16:18:40

a821

You may also try a https mirror or try pacman's `--disable-download-timeout`.

#5 2018-10-08 19:47:39

$nake

So I used the most up-to-date list of mirrors and tried manually many of them. I managed to find one suiting my needs.
I can report that I had to use indeed a https one, and if I may precise I am surprised how many of them were not able to do the job (whereas on other networks than my university, most would simply work without trouble).

Thanks for your tips, and sorry for the noise.

Board footer