You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-09 12:44:15

eil23

System stuttering every few seconds

Hi, fairly new user here. Apologies if this issue is covered in another post but I couldn't quite find anything from my search.

Each time I boot I'm suffering from my entire system freezing for about half a second every so often (per 2s initially, but seems to increase over time to around 10s) until maybe a dozen minutes pass and it stops.

I've tried this both with my own installation of Arch and a re-installation on the same machine with Antergos (sorry), and both had the same issue.

Added to this, it's very common for a device to not work; both my mouse and my second monitor regularly don't work on boot (maybe 40% of the time) and require a restart.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just calling me dumb.

#2 2018-10-09 13:04:17

seth

Re: System stuttering every few seconds

We'll need far more details to make an informed comment.
Notably what kind of session you run (desktop environment, display server) and how this freezing exactly manifests (notably whether eg. sound or mouse cursor are affected, but also a positive list, ie "what" freezes)
Also check your journal as well as top and iotop to see whether sth. puts the system under considerable load (file indexers are a typical candidate)

#3 2018-10-09 13:50:39

eil23

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure to give more information in the future, sorry!

I've used both the Gnome and Budgie desktops, both on Xorg. It appears that it's only graphics that this occurs on. On a Youtube video, for example, the sound is fine but the video itself stutters. I also tested input and that appears to go through fine while stuttering.

I couldn't see any large spikes with iotop. The first time I checked top it appeared that Xorg was spiking in tandem with the freezing, up to around 80% CPU at one point. On further testing this doesn't appear to be as large, but Xorg is bold through many of the freezes.

The 'important' messages in whichever program Logs is for Gnome showed

Hardware    usb 3-7: 1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x81 (3)
Hardware    usbhid 3-4:1.2: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint

#4 2018-10-09 13:57:41

seth

Budgie and Gnome are the same desktop. Budgie is just some pre-configured gnome w/ some extras.
Gnome 3.30 is on the record with various problems, inc. massive performance issues - notably on X11.
Have you tried it on wayland?

#5 2018-10-09 14:46:03

eil23

Ah, okay. I suppose I'll look at using alternatives, as I always end up bastardizing Gnome with addons anyway.

Anyway, I tried logging into Gnome through the different options ('Gnome', 'Gnome on Xorg') and both had the same issue.

Interestingly enough, I installed the Weston package and the issue has seemingly disappeared whilst logged in. It still has the issue on the DM, but this is definitely a large improvement.

I can only imagine this is a temporary solution as I have absolutely no idea what would cause this, but at least this is something.

#6 2018-10-09 21:03:55

eil23

As it turns out, it was a temporary fix, as I reinstalled and am finding this error now using KDE.

#7 2018-10-10 07:06:20

seth

dmesg?
Also "lsusb".
Do you have a parallel windows installation?

Board footer