You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-10 16:54:10

jordicg
Website

[Solved] Asus b450-f rog strix and Ryzen 2200g can't install uefi

Well there's no one to blame here, neither great ArchLinux, neither Asus or AMD, but the reality is that I have this problem for a long time now. On my mother board uefi based, I cannot boot as uefi, I have upgraded my bios, disabled legacy, disabled secure boot, but when I boot with uefi my USB stick with arch I get this errors. -
AMD-Vi, iommu, ACPI Error And Kernel panic error at last.
I have been doing a lot of research and if I don't boot with uefi and at Arch menu I add this boot flags I can install Arch linux.
Flags efi_no_storage_paranoia AND iommu=soft
With this flags I have installed Arch but stuck at grub-install which throws me a error of "variables are not supported in this system"  because I'm not in uefi mode, I have tried to enable it with modprobe efivars And also with efivarfs, still no luck.
My partition scheme is gpt, can't show the output of lsblk because I'm using my phone now, but I have a SSD disk of 480 gb with 2 partitions, the first is a efi type with boot and esp enabled, size a little more than 500 mb, fat32, named efi, the second one has the rest of the disk it's name is root, type ext4
I have two disks more, one of 2 tb, and other one of 1 tb, partition type ext4
The efi partition of the SSD disk is mounted in /boot/EFI that is /dev/sda1
Root partition /dev/sda2 is mounted in /mnt
Home partition /dev/sdb is mounted in /mnt/home
Backup partition disk /dev/sdc is mounted in /mnt/backup
I have installed also linux-lts for kernel compatibility
Any help would be great lost ideas here

Last edited by jordicg (2018-10-21 07:09:59)

With great power there must also come -- great responsibility!

#2 2018-10-11 02:32:09

jordicg
Website

Re: [Solved] Asus b450-f rog strix and Ryzen 2200g can't install uefi

Btw I have also made the boot parameter I need to use in order for Arch kernel to boot correctly permanent.
I did that by modifying /etc/default/grub.
Added this. -
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="iommu=soft"
Could not regenerate grub. cfg because grub-install fails

#3 2018-10-11 06:53:59

headkase

If you boot off the USB medium can you chroot in and generate the grub.cfg file?  Or even text-edit it and hack the option in until you're booting and can then do it properly.

What about booting in MBR mode?  As far as I know a GPT partition table is not supported under anything but EFI.  If your system won't boot in EFI then how far do you get with an MBR partitioned disk and CSM mode enabled in your firmware?

Last edited by headkase (2018-10-11 06:55:55)

#4 2018-10-11 13:44:47

jordicg
Website

headkase wrote:

If you boot off the USB medium can you chroot in and generate the grub.cfg file?  Or even text-edit it and hack the option in until you're booting and can then do it properly.

What about booting in MBR mode?  As far as I know a GPT partition table is not supported under anything but EFI.  If your system won't boot in EFI then how far do you get with an MBR partitioned disk and CSM mode enabled in your firmware?

Humm, try to generate the grub.cfg without installing grub again, I will try that. I will also try to edit it, thank you very much. Great ideas.

#5 2018-10-11 18:24:55

jordicg
Website

Thank you, I was breaking my head against the wall for nothing, just reinstalled with MBR, now everything is fine.

#6 2018-10-12 01:59:27

headkase

jordicg wrote:

Thank you, I was breaking my head against the wall for nothing, just reinstalled with MBR, now everything is fine.

Right on, you're welcome.  CSM is "compatibility support module" and when enabled in a UEFI system boots it in BIOS mode - which needs an MBR partitioned disk.

If your thread is solved then don't forget to edit your first post and add "[Solved]" to the title.

Board footer