You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-12 21:36:08

dakoellis

[Solved] QEMU Virtual Machine Hanging when the Screen Turns Off

I have a Windows 10 VM running with QEMU/KVM and OVMF Passthrough and every time the screen turns off, it hangs.  It also seems like this only happens when my host goes to sleep, and even if I disable sleep and display screen off on the guest.  I typically use synergy to control it, but once it hangs up that doesn't work, and the virt-manager spice windows stops responding as well.  Guest shutdown/restart don't work either, so the only way to get it back is to force reset or force shut down.  The other thing about the setup is that I set it up with an LVM disk instead of using a disk image.

I'm trying to figure out how to get logs, as the defualt level 3 doesn't seem to have anything helpful.  Does anyone know what I should setup as a filter, or better yet does anyone know what would be causing this issue?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by dakoellis (2018-10-14 13:32:12)

#2 2018-10-13 09:40:03

Lone_Wolf

Re: [Solved] QEMU Virtual Machine Hanging when the Screen Turns Off

It also seems like this only happens when my host goes to sleep,

When the host switches to sleep mode, qemu and the physical machine are powered off also.
suspending the host will have a similar effect.

You may want to disable suspend / sleep when the guest is started and re-enabling them when the guest shuts down.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-10-14 01:14:16

dakoellis

Lone_Wolf wrote:

It also seems like this only happens when my host goes to sleep,

When the host switches to sleep mode, qemu and the physical machine are powered off also.
suspending the host will have a similar effect.

You may want to disable suspend / sleep when the guest is started and re-enabling them when the guest shuts down.

Ok. Does hibernate vs sleep matter or is it the same either way? What about the monitor?

#4 2018-10-14 13:26:44

Lone_Wolf

hibernate, sleep and suspend all power down the host and will give the same issue.

Normally monitor status doesn't affect host or guest performance, you could probably switch of the monitor completely without hurting host/guest perfrormance.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer