You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-28 13:35:24

eyolf
Website

How about a backup repository?

With the rolling release system of Arch, there is only one current package, as I've understood it. That's a fine system, and I understand the problem with server space and that not all previous versions of the packages can be left on the server.
But how about having a backup repository in addition to the current, testing, etc. repos, with one older version of all the 'current' packages? The idea would be that when a new version is prepared and enters 'current', the old version would be pushed to 'backup' and replace the version before that.

I keep running into problems with upgrades breaking apps, and it would have been nice to have a place where I could go and get the older - working - versions if I for some reason have not kept a backup copy myself.
This time, it's the guile update which broke lilypond, and the previous version was too old to have been captured by my current, more careful backup strategies. (so if anyone has an old guile package lying around...)
In the past, I've been in similar situations with the bad kernel version a couple of months ago, and more recently with the cairo package which broke antialiasing in gtk apps.

Just an idea, but one which I think would save many annoyances -- at least for me....

#2 2006-07-28 14:52:49

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: How about a backup repository?

Do you know about this?

#3 2006-07-28 15:40:46

arooaroo
Website

Also, pacman doesn't delete downloaded packages from its cache unless you tell it too. So you are more than likely to still have older versions on your system already.  This is how Jacman's rollback facility works - it checks only for those packages that still exist in the cache.

#4 2006-07-28 15:41:15

eyolf
Website

Uhm... now I do... Nice site :-) Even better than I had hoped for. Thanks.

Board footer