You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-18 22:04:13

medicated

Slow disk access?

I've been trying to get Arch installed using the base install, but I'm having problems when it comes to formatting my partitions.

From the beginning..my system boots to the cd just fine.  When I get to the prompt I issue the /arch/setup command to enter into the installer.  That goes fine.  When I enter into cfdisk to do the partition, there is a loonng pause.  After this long delay, it finally enters in and I am able to set up my partitions and then write the changes.  My hard drive is partition to my liking and everything is good.  Now, the problem comes when I try to set mount points and actually format the partitions.  It seems that it gets through setting up my swap space, but then when it can't ever finish formatting any of the other partitions.  It just sits..and sits.  Its not locked up though.  I can freely switch terminals and what not.  I'm trying to dual-boot the system and I'm currently stuck under windows so I can't get any of the screen output at the moment.  I will post back later tonight.  I let the system sit for several hours just for fun last night, but it never finished.  Any ideas..suggestions?

#2 2006-07-26 04:20:01

medicated

Re: Slow disk access?

Hmm..no suggestions.  Alright.  Hmm..well I was able to boot up via the Archie live cd and then format the partitions as I desired.  I am also currenty running the most recent ubuntu release, but I really miss Arch.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#3 2006-07-26 05:50:33

gradgrind

Well, if you have now managed to format the partitions, what is the problem? If the standard installation CD doesn't work for you, use one of the methods for installing from another linux system, live CD, or whatever, which are described in the wiki.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qui … stallation
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … her_distro
The quickinst script from the installation CD is another possibility.

#4 2006-07-28 17:57:46

medicated

OOkkay, I guess somehow I overlooked those installation methods.  I went ahead and tried the install from live disk option and things worked fine.  I'm still curious why I couldn't format my partitions from within the official arch installer though.

Board footer