You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-15 15:57:42

GLaDTheresCake

Microphone not recognized until re-plugging the audio jack

My arch desktop doesn't see the microphone plugged into the back audio port until I plug it out and back in again, I only noticed it a month or so ago, but it might have been going on longer since I haven't used the microphone much a bit before that. I use pulseaudio and alsa as my audio backend.
It doesn't show up under devices connected in pavucontrol or kde manager as being connected at all, the input tab is completely empty when I haven't re-plugged it. Restarting alsamixer or pulseaudio doesn't fix the issue either.
These sound related kernel modules are loaded that I could find (output of lsmod) (if there's any others I might have to post please tell me and I'll get on that):
snd                    98304  17 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm
snd_pcm               131072  5 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_hda_core           94208  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_generic    86016  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_realtek   110592  1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     57344  1
Linux kernel is version 4.18.12.arch1-1-ARCH
I'm running kde plasma 5.14.0

I used the alsa info script from the alsa website (http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh) to get more info from the sound card and other things. Here is the output:
https://pastebin.com/pZk0vHng

After re-plugging the microphone (and it showing up/working again) the output is as follows:
https://pastebin.com/tdcpa5dr

Thank you for your time whoever reads this, this has just been a real head scratcher for me, and it's a nuisance having to re-plug this audio jack every time I restart, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2018-10-16 08:52:54

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Microphone not recognized until re-plugging the audio jack

Hmm, does running

alsactl init

help without explicitly replugging ? FWIW if this just happened "a month ago" can you try ruling out a kernel regression by testing e.g. the LTS kernel?

#3 2019-02-28 12:02:36

GLaDTheresCake

Sorry for the late response, the regression test to LTS does not seem to work. Neither does the alsactl init command, it does give a curious output

$ alsactl init
alsactl: sysfs_init:48: sysfs path '/sys' is invalid

Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Realtek ALC892" "HDA:10ec0892,1462fa71,00100302" "0x1462" "0xfa71"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method

This output is the same before re-plugging the microphone (and it not showing up) and after, in both normal and LTS kernel.

EDIT: to clarify, I did google said output from alsactl, it said some things about asound.state not matching, so I tried the following commands to no avail:

sudo mv /var/lib/alsa/asound.state{,-}
sudo alsactl store
sudo alsactl restore

I also tried the solution here but it didn't work, though the output of the command might help

pacmd list sources

https://pastebin.com/SvbSfbTZ

Last edited by GLaDTheresCake (2019-02-28 12:14:55)

#4 2019-02-28 12:32:47

V1del
Forum Moderator

pacmd output helps, your active profile is wrong, an explicit replug will lead to the switch-on-port-available module to trigger and explicitly switch the profile.  Did you ever accidentally set that? (Configuration tab in pavucontrol, if you willingly set that, pulseaudio will happily remember that choice) Try switching that to Analog Stereo Duplex in pavucontrol or use

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo

. If, for whatever reason, this doesn't stick during a reboot you might want to find if there's anything explicitly setting that, or as a fire and forget workaround append

set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo

to the end of your /etc/pulse/default.pa

PS: The output from alsactl is normal, as long as it mentions something along the lines of reinitialized the card, the thing that should be happening has happened.

Last edited by V1del (2019-02-28 12:34:15)

#5 2019-02-28 13:31:01

GLaDTheresCake

Thank you, that fixed the issue. Guess something does keep setting it to something else, but as a workaround, since I need to start a noise cancel script at boot anyway, I just added your first command to that and it works.

Board footer