You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-18 12:49:13

hl037

Why is opencv package compiled without ffmpeg backend support ?

Why is opencv official package compiled without ffmpeg backend support ?

This is what I was wondering. Since I have generally specific needs with opencv, I usually always create my own package (including contribs).
However, today, I need opencv on a small server, and I have a really poor connection, so impossible to compile it remotely, neither is it possible to upload the package (60Mo... at 1K/s upload...)

So, I tried the official package. And then, Watching the build info :

Video I/O:
    FFMPEG:                      NO
      avcodec:                   NO
      avformat:                  NO
      avutil:                    NO
      swscale:                   NO
      avresample:                NO

...And that really surprised me, because ffmpeg is quite widely used (and personnally, I always have problems with gst... [maybe a biased opinion]). So I was wondering why isn't it supported ?

I may be wrong, but I think it could be an optionnal depency (then, it would not add a huge overhead, while still possible to be used with GST) ?

Last edited by hl037 (2018-10-18 12:50:58)

#2 2018-10-18 13:05:05

Lone_Wolf

Re: Why is opencv package compiled without ffmpeg backend support ?

Looks like it was changed here : https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … 85e773078e .

Very few developers use forum , but you may be lucky as Arojas (opencv maintainer and last packager) does.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-10-18 13:38:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

hl037 wrote:

I have a really poor connection, so impossible to compile it remotely

This doesn't follow.  Why does having a poor connection make it hard to start a compilation process on the server?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2018-10-18 14:57:27

ugjka
Website

Trilby wrote:
hl037 wrote:

This doesn't follow.  Why does having a poor connection make it hard to start a compilation process on the server?

he doesn't know tmux or screen or mosh?

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#5 2018-10-19 02:08:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:
hl037 wrote:

If 'small server' refers to one of those boards (Pi etc) then it may just take too long.

Though I agree that it's more likely he's referring to a finicky connection and doesn't (yet) know the wonders of tmux/screen.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2018-10-19 02:38:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Suggesting that there might be an other reason why building on the server could be impractical doesn't affect the claim that not being able to build does not follow from a bad connection.

hl037, set up screen/tmux to reconnect to an existing session upon reconnect, then just sign in and start makepkg.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer