You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-28 22:39:56

Kris
Website

Compile my own kernel?

Hi!

I wan't to edit and compile my own kernel, so I got even more structure on my machine - and I hope to get a little more performance.

How do I edit and Compile a custom kernel?

[EDIT] And maybe how I make all my own-compiled programs to be compiled to a Pentium4 processor smile As i could when I was a Gentoo user big_smile

// Kris

"Penquins, Penquins, über alles!"

#2 2006-07-29 01:11:08

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Compile my own kernel?

Kris;

There is a wiki for custom kernel generation.

Basically, you can use ABS to obtain the basic kernel  and its accompanying patches and config file.  ABS is  Arch Build System which somewhat automates the making of packages, including custom kernels.

Just run abs in CL and find the download in /var/abs/kernels.

The kernel you desire to customize is found therein.

You customize it by modifying the kernelconfig and setup PKGBUILD file.

Run "makepkg" on the PKGBUILD and then run pacman -A (name of custom kernel.pkg.tar.gz).  If using lilo run/sbin/lilo before reboot.

The steps are outlined in the wikis.

Best of luck!!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2006-07-29 01:18:25

Kris
Website

Allright...

Is it "easy" or is it something I must be af 1337-haXor to do? big_smile

// Kris

"Penquins, Penquins, über alles!"

#4 2006-07-29 01:40:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

You may experience "noobie pains" by running into typos, incorrect entries, and have to try again as I did (I am 81 soon).

If first you don't get pkgbuild to complete, you must remove the pkg and src folders from the directory before trying again...not included in wiki I recall!!

You must run this exercise in a directory other than the /var/abs/kernels directory as is outlined in the wiki.  Also, during th PKGBUILD."makepkg", a window opens with an opportunity to enter config again...x it out and continue....

Get your feet wet and observe other examples in the forum...  use search above the wiki icon.

Good luck!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2006-07-29 08:38:22

tomk
Forum Fellow

Kris - if you really want to do this, you need to do more than read the Arch wiki. Google for kernel howtos, and do some serious reading. No offence, but the fact that you're asking if it's easy suggests to me that you might not be quite ready for this.

Also, please bear in mind that the devs put a lot of work into the Arch kernel packages, based on many years of experience. It is almost certain that you will not get any practical performance gains from rolling your own. The same goes for recompiling your apps for P4.

Board footer