You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-24 18:02:17

ewaller
Administrator

git commit self reference

I think I am out of luck on this one, so I welcome comments.

I am creating documentation for a program that needs to identify the hash of a git commit to identify a specific set of files that are subsequently tested.  I also want to have that file in the git repository.  Which turns into a chicken vs egg thing.  One cannot know the hash to bake into the document until after the document is committed.

Any suggestions, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2018-10-24 18:39:06

progandy

Re: git commit self reference

Can you not split this in two commits? One with the changes and a follow-up commit with the test documentation?

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2018-10-24 18:48:30

ewaller
Administrator

I suppose that is kind of what I am doing now.  The documentation uses python-sphinxcontrib-programoutput to grab the most recent commit info, so generating the documents after the commits gets them right; and they do come from controlled source.  In essence, the documentation is a commit behind.   I used to have a Director of Quality that I know would have worked with me on this; he moved on to greener pastures.  I am not sure the new guy will be as agreeable; he is a good man, but is still establishing his authority.

If all else fails, I'll document the snot out of it smile

Edit:  Ironically, this is in an effort to actually get Arch into a product instead of Debian or Red Hat.

Last edited by ewaller (2018-10-24 18:50:10)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#4 2018-10-24 19:15:33

progandy

If you do not need the commit hash, you could generate everything else in a pre-commit hook and add it to the commit. The porcelain mode of "git status" should give you the files you have to document again.

Since the git hash uniquely identifies the contents of the commit including the commit message and the hashes of the files, it is impossible to self-reference without cracking the hash and making it useless.

Edit: If the commit id isn't important in the git repository itself, but for archives created with an export, then you can use the export-subst attribute and replace a few placeholders. If you need it for your working directory checkout as well, then smudge/clean filters might work.
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customiz … Attributes

Last edited by progandy (2018-10-24 19:28:08)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#5 2018-10-24 22:32:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is using the hash - as opposed to the commit number - a hard requirement?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-10-25 01:32:32

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is using the hash - as opposed to the commit number - a hard requirement?

No, not really.  But,  the code we deliver to our customer has to be demonstrably the same as that which we qualified.  What are you thinking?

I could just break down and document a hash of each file in a configuration index -- but I am trying to a bit more elegant.

Edit: Reworded.

Last edited by ewaller (2018-10-25 02:24:11)

---

#7 2018-10-25 01:44:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you can use a commit number, they are predictable, so you could know ahead of time what the commit number would be on the commit that will include the documentation.

Although in hindsight I'm realizing how unversed I am in git: different branches can be receiving commits indepdendenty and be merged later.  So perhaps a commit number would change.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2018-10-25 02:09:20

Allan
Pacman
Website

Can the documentation go in an git submodule?

#9 2018-10-25 02:23:23

ewaller
Administrator

I have to confess, I've no idea what that is.  I'll look into what that may be.

---

#10 2018-10-25 02:34:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Allan wrote:

Can the documentation go in an git submodule?

Wouldn't this effectively be the same as having separate commits for the documentation (except with a bit of extra overhead)? As I understand it ewaller is trying to achieve it all in one commit to be 'atomic' in the sense of documentation always matching code.

My hack around this would be to use the the hash of the parent commit instead, which would still preserve some degree of identifiability assuming you don't make a practice of rewriting git history (if you did all this wouldn't really make sense anyway).

Last edited by ngoonee (2018-10-25 02:36:26)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer