You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-30 05:35:08

felixculpa

[SOLVED] GPSBabel, how to change temp "bin" file location?

Hi all.

I am using a Holux RCV-3000 GPS logger and am trying to download the data by doing the following.

1. run:

gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0

2. add myself to the uucp group, as /dev/ttyUSB0 belongs to it
2. plug in RCV-3000 via USB and switch on
3. run the example taken from here:

gpsbabel -t -i m241 -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F $(date -Iminutes).gpx

4. gpsbabel exits immediately and returns:

mtk_logger: Can't create temporary file /tmp/data.bin

If I run the gpsbabel with sudo it seems to run but it just hangs, I've let it run two hours and the only way I can tell it was doing anything is because the command could be seen through htop.

Is there anyway to speed up the process if run with sudo? Or to change the temporary file to something under my /home folder? Was it actually doing anything at all while it was running?

Last edited by felixculpa (2018-10-30 17:40:01)

#2 2018-10-30 13:57:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] GPSBabel, how to change temp "bin" file location?

(removed)

EDIT: Sorry, you are specifying a final output file, but gpsbabel also seems to create a temporary file while it's working.  You may need to check the code whether it uses an environment variable for where to place the temp file.

In the worst case scenario, you could temporarily bind mount tmp to somewhere in home (or vice versa depending on the terminology - for the result of having /tmp physically located on a disk rather than tmpfs).

EDIT 2: gpsbabel uses QDIR:tempPath() from Qt for the location of the temp.bin, and Qt respects any TMPDIR environment setting, so you can set (and export) TEMPDIR to somewhere your home directory to change where tmp.bin is saved.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-10-30 14:13:12)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-10-30 17:39:40

felixculpa

Re: [SOLVED] GPSBabel, how to change temp "bin" file location?

Perfect it works.

Board footer