You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-31 11:43:57

vmaffione

Can official packages optdepend on AUR packages?

Hi,
  It would be great for me if the openmpi Arch package could optdepend on the openucx AUR package (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/openucx/).
Is this kind of dependency allowed in general?

This would allow openmpi users to run over Infiniband (ibverbs) devices using the UCX backend.
In my experiments, UCX is the only backend that makes openmpi work over Infiniband. There is an older backend named "openib", but it did not work for me.
I asked on the github for help on this issue, but in the end I was redirected to UCX (see discussion at https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/5280), which is apparently newer and better.

Thanks,
  Vincenzo

#2 2018-10-31 12:08:24

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Can official packages optdepend on AUR packages?

optdepends usually require the headers of the relevant dependency to be present at compile time, while not being required at runtime. So no this wouldn't make much sense.

You can run your own version of the package with these relevant adjustments, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System for information on how to maintain customly adjusted PKGBUILDs.

#3 2018-10-31 12:30:47

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I don't think it's explicitly stated anywhere, but (AFAIK) official packages do not have any dependencies on AUR packages, optional or otherwise, as a rule. Like V1del says, in 90% of cases it doesn't make sense as the package would need to be compiled against the appropriate headers, but where it might make sense, the Devs/TUs cannot guarantee that $randomAURpackage will always be well maintained and safe (read: well-written and not malicious) without taking it under their ownership, in which case they may as well move it to the official repositories anyway.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2018-10-31 14:36:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

V1del wrote:

optdepends usually require the headers of the relevant dependency to be present at compile time

Really?  This would be true of makedepends.  But makepkg does not install optdepends during a build.  So particularly if one builds in a clean chroot, optdepends would never be installed at compile time.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-10-31 16:46:08

eschwartz
Fellow

It really doesn't matter, we have a rule against optdepending on AUR packages at all, with the rationale that if they're not in the repos, the repos should not reference them.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#6 2018-10-31 19:58:24

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well if we're being pedantic (which can be important in cases like this I agree and which is why I added usually and not always) yes, pure optdepends wouldn't matter, however at least from the descriptions in the posted bug report, it doesn't sound like you can simply completely optdepend in this specific case and will have to build relevant support. (In fact, if that was the case it wouldn't matter as vmaffione could use the "optdepend" without it being listed, so it would only be syntactic packaging sugar with no functional purpose)

Last edited by V1del (2018-10-31 19:58:59)

Board footer