You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-03 16:39:48

pat-s

Trigger rebuild of package after update of dependency package

Hi guys,

Let' assume the following:

PKG A depends on PKG B. If PKG B is updated, PKG A cannot be started anymore and requires a reinstallation (because it needs to compile against the new version of PKG B).

Is there an easy solution how to automate this situation? I.e. trigger an automatic rebuild of PKG A when PKG B is updated?

Usually the old version of PKG B comes as a new pkg into the AUR some days after the update. But usually I do not have time to wait until this happens and therefore I simply reinstall PKG A.

(As the reinstallation takes about 30 min - 1h, I would like to find a better solution for this problem. Please also suggest alternatives here.)

This topic must haven been discussed earlier I guess but I could not find anything related.

#2 2018-11-03 16:49:51

mpan
Website

Re: Trigger rebuild of package after update of dependency package

Hypothetically ALPM hooks (man 5 alpm-hooks) could be set up for that. But I doubt, that you want to delay the standard pacman-style update, by adding a rebuild of other packages to it; even worse — a rebuild that might fail, leaving your system in an unhealthy state.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#3 2018-11-03 19:00:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Trigger rebuild of package after update of dependency package

How would you not know PKG B was updated?  Are you running unattended updates?  If you know PKG A need to be rebuilt whenever PKG B is updated, just start makepkg in PKG A's directory whenever you see PKG B being updated.

What are "PKG A" and "PKG B" anyways?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer