You are not logged in.

#6426 2018-10-31 19:47:31

noreset

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone, the day I wasn't able to deal with my system's problems came, maybe I can catch the opportunity to become more active in the Arch community, perhaps I will make some friends in here. By the way, happy to could be part of it!
Something short about me, I'm Italian living in Berlin while studing CS, I'm also a Free Software supporter.

Last edited by noreset (2018-11-01 09:40:07)

#6427 2018-10-31 21:50:33

juanfgs

Hello everyone!

After trying Manjaro and liking it a few days ago I decided to give Arch a go on my desktop computer. It was way easier to install than I expected (specially because the guide is extremely well written)

so here I am!

Not sure if I will install it on my laptop workstation though, perhaps I'll just leave manjaro in there.

#6428 2018-11-07 07:00:10

jaqu3

Hi everyone!
I'm the arch user now about the year <3
Thanks for being here and help us wink

Best Wishes

#6429 2018-11-07 10:24:58

tydynrain
Website

I send warm welcomes to you new fellow Archers, to the most amazing, elegant, and exciting OS and framework in the Linux and OSS/FOSS  world! If you dive deep, have patience, and do not give up, you'll find out just how truly brilliant and exceptional Arch Linux is. You have chosen wisely. ;-)

Last edited by tydynrain (2018-11-07 10:27:38)

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#6430 2018-11-10 20:57:37

WilliamImm

Just getting this out of my system. Though I've only just registered here, I've been an off-and-on Arch user, enjoying the distro since 2015/2016ish.It makes Linux really fun for me again! The wiki alone is excellent enough for the enthusiast like me. Having cut my teeth on Linux from Scratch, that says a lot.

Hoping to switch full time from Blehdows in the near future and just keep that for the games that need it. For all else, Arch rocks!

#6431 2018-11-12 08:52:35

chlankboot

Hello there,
Longtime Fedora user and then Kubuntu. Switched to Arch a couple of days ago because I liked its philosophy and thought it's time to understand what's really going on under the hoods.
Really excited about it!
Cheers.

#6432 2018-11-13 10:34:33

unknown_free_user

Hello everyone!

I thought that my first post should be here, and not just a technical issue in Newbie Corner (that'll be my second post, though). And what should my first post be about? Let me tell you how I got here.

My wanderings in the Open and/or Free Software ecosystem have been short but enlightening, I started with Linux Mint two years ago and at first I didn't notice the change from using Windows. But soon I became addicted to the simplicity and speed of the terminal, the clarity of editing config files and the control I had on my laptop. I changed to Arch because of its minimal installation and DIY philosophy and I am so happy with it!

Have a good day, from Madrid, Spain

#6433 2018-11-14 07:50:58

huzo11

Helloooo there.
To be honest, the reason I started using arch distro is because I felt like I needed to learn more about linux because Arch is not as automated as other distros. So far, it has been pretty interesting modifying my desktop environment (KDE). I am now trying to do some python scripting to automate installing AUR packages and I have asked questions on the forum when I got stuck. And the people were pretty nice and helpful. Therefore, the experience is pretty good so far smile.

Be nice and live for others.
https://prismatically.blog

#6434 2018-11-18 01:08:12

wuzz

Hello everyone,
started using Arch around a year ago and immediately fell in love with it. Cheers and greetings from Austria!

Last edited by wuzz (2018-11-18 01:08:55)

#6435 2018-11-20 18:00:45

marco_costa

Hello, I've been using Arch for about two years now. Love it.

#6436 2018-11-23 10:51:14

omega16

Hello everyone, I've been using Arch for a year, I've been on Ubuntu for a while and finally a friend has pushed me to Arch, I do not regret it, I love doing things that destroy the system and re-install Arch makes me more careful before doing something that can break the system xD.

#6437 2018-11-23 11:49:57

jngk

Hello everyone smile I've been using Arch Linux on my personal workstation for software development for a while now. My involvement in the community has been limited - asking (mostly general Unix-y) questions in IRC; I'd like to achieve greater mastery over this system that I use everyday.

#6438 2018-11-24 07:46:46

aquilarubra

I just landed on Arch, to give it a try to cross-compile with mingw-w64 and ended up using it for everything. Therefore, I have to give a big thank you, because it is the only up-to-date and reliable distro one can count one, and it does not hide the internals.

It was long ago that I was in love with Gentoo, but it was too demanding in terms of (compilation) time, if you had to keep your system updated. I used the old Redhat, Mandrake, tried the first Fedora, till I landed on Debian, which I used for years because of its stability. I even designed my own distro, which is Debian derivate. However, when you have to install a relatively new package, it might become a hell, because Debian traditionally is always a bit outdated, preferring stability over being on the edge. Therefore, there are things that always prevented me from moving from Windows to Linux. For example, LibreOffice did not allow sequential insertion of special characters (the window closed each time you inserted a new special char). This was fixed in recent releases, but it was not found in Debian yet.
So, with Arch I could finally make the definitive switch from Windows to Linux.

I look forward to contribute to some packages (maybe related to smart card readers, softether, and maybe an iso-snapshot tool similar to the one used in Antix, to be able to replicate easily an Arch install).

#6439 2018-11-24 09:54:49

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome to Arch, glad you've found it to work for you.

Mod note: Merging with the hello topic.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6440 2018-11-24 13:31:12

Pillgrimm

echo "Hi, all!" >> The\ Official\ Hello\ Everyone\ Thread.thread

I'm a daily arch user (sometimes twice, even thrice daily) since ohh, some time back in 2013/14 I think... I remember back then the wiki had a 'Beginner's Guide' to hold us n00bz' hands thru install, and I still drekked it several times one way or another.  I came from *buntus to Arch because I was tired of the planet-like bloat and labyrinthine troubleshooting process that always seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

I was blown away by how configurable everything was, and impressed with Arch's stability. I've had many things break, but every time something did, it was either me, tinkering with things I didn't yet understand, or some package or dependency conflict, and whatever the case, there was always a solution (usually a simple one), and thanks to the wonderfully active and thorough Arch wiki/community, I've been able to find or deduce the correct answer every time. Besides just being a relief from the headaches I'd recieved from the convoluted problems I'd encountered in distros previously, it's been and continues to be an awesome learning experience! Thanks to Arch, I'm not hapless anymore when x won't start, or my wireless gonks out. Kernel Panic under control cool It's a blast to tweak, and I tweak freely, knowing that I can probably rescue it from whatever I might break. That feels like freedom. If I don't like something, I just change it.

Now I'm an artist, and arch being whatever you want it to be, is perfect for the projects I take on, playing equally well with jack/audio as with krita and gimp and blender, and thanks to its minimalism, I didn't need to trim anything to get it to run all that on my little 4GB cr*ptop, just work with less running (and less is more).

OK, that's all for my rave now. <3RCH

#6441 2018-11-26 05:25:07

thebiglaskowski

Hello Everyone! Like others I've been using different distros of Linux for years and finally made the leap over to Arch. I too wish I would have sooner, had I known how powerful the AUR is and how much less of a stress it would be to get everything working properly and fast I would have tried this years ago. I didn't think I had what it took to be an Archer, I now doubt I'll ever use anything else for my main rig again.

#6442 2018-11-26 13:05:32

bogdanos

Hello everyone! I'm yet another GNU/Linux enthusiast, and I decided do start a "journey" through Arch!
The reason is simple: this is one of the best (if not THE best) distro to understand what the hell is happening on my machine everytime I type a command on terminal and stuff like that.
It's fun though, I've always though to be a good intermediate GNU/Linux user, but as soon I started the installation live I got to my limits (but this is a story for the thread I'm going to open right now).

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

#6443 2018-12-01 05:30:11

Zhme

I suppose I could have done this sooner, but I get stage fright.  Hello to the Arch community!   I have been an Arch enthusiast for about a year now, a Linux fan for a couple years, and an avid learner for about 10 years.  I have bumbled around computer work since I was a teen.  Now at the age of 25 I have decided to pursue a career of computer engineering, proudly in part by Arch Linux.  I consider myself a novice, at best, but a quick learner with an aptitude for most of the conceptual knowledge in this field.  I currently work restoring/refurbishing @pple products and I have been intrigued in terminal/command line usage since I was a young sprout.  I hope to be a beneficial part of the Arch community and to learn from anyone who is willing to teach me!

#6444 2018-12-03 00:16:32

felixblind

hello. I am using archlinux for private use for 10 years now and professionally for 2.5. It's just the only distribution I am able to use. I can deal with ubuntu or suse on servers but there is always something wrong there.
I am able to help others offline with their setup. I am looking for a better knowledge foundation and a way to help people here in the forum.

#6445 2018-12-05 19:17:09

aerysho

Hi, I've a feeling that this is the right place to actually learn about Linux. I was stumped for awhile trying to figure the registration question sad didn't notice the formatting D:

#6446 2018-12-08 13:50:13

anjarw

Hello, Already heard about arch linux for few years. Just Try this Arch Linux recently for Development purpose.
I have been try several linux distribution : Slackware, MandrivaOS, RedHat, Centos, Debian, OpenSuse, Knoppix,Kanotix, until FreeBSD 11.x ( not Linux ). I think, it time to try other linux distribution. Hope I'll enjoy using ARch linux. smile

#6447 2018-12-09 20:56:50

LouisJ

Hello Everyone!

I've been a 'Windows only' user for the last 17 years, and it's frankly what I've grown comfortable using, and I enjoy using it, but I decided recently that I was feeling limited by some features, and I wanted more customization for my desktop, and windows etc. I decided I'd jump into Linux for the first time, and, well, I'm not sure if this was a smart idea, but I wiped my SSD and installed Arch. It took me about 15 hours just to install, as I kept making a mistake, and having to restart the whole process. It took me a good couple of hours just to change my partition table from DOS to GPT! I think from this evidence you'll find me spending a great deal of my time here in the Newbie Corner, and I think it'd be great to try to integrate into what I've heard is a fantastic community. This is my first Linux experience, but so far I'm loving it. As far as customization, I've yet to work out how to do much, but I can change the font colour in terminal! Baby steps, I know, but it feels exciting to try something new. I hope that with some help eventually, I can learn the intricacies of this distribution, and I'll be able to use it to it's fullest potential. Currently still struggling to get sound coming out of Clementine, but oh well. I hope to get to know some of you soon.

Thanks!

Louis.

#6448 2018-12-12 00:03:11

sheraff

Hi all!
Всем привет!
Shuffled different DE's on my laptop Ubuntu instance. Eventually stubbed the system when tried to uninstall Plasma with tasksel (all core dependencies were gone).
Considered it to be the right moment to dive a bit deeper with Arch. The first day was a strain and a huge temptation to revert to conventional Ubuntu, or use painkiller - Manjaro or Antegros - all designed to work from the box. Finally curiosity topped lazyness, although I had to peruse a pack of arch-wiki and stackoverflow pages at every step of basic build-up.
Apart from home network admin, I'm an extensive user of document-, image-, music-processing apps (Linux audio is unviable yet). Also have to solve some particular tasks in web-design and data-mining.
The most pleasing thing about Arch is package management system; pacman appears to be way slicker and briskier than apt. No need to add repositories; installation and update goes very fast. Having at hand pre-compiled latest versions of python and redis is also cool. Development tools are very accessible. Building from AUR with one command is not a big deal.
The overall system performance (core i5) on Arch - with my favorite Gnome 3 - is slightly better than on comparable Ubuntu. Expect a more tangible difference when I decide to move to Arch on Atom-equipped home server.
At this writing still don't see the files in my home "Desktop" folder on my guh-nome-3 desktop (xfce works fine in this aspect).

Greetings to Arch community!

Radimir.

Last edited by sheraff (2018-12-12 00:08:00)

#6449 2018-12-12 13:01:44

yphqn

Hello arch users!!

Longtime ubuntu user, now Arch, and i'm so excited!

Cheers smile

#6450 2018-12-14 17:28:46

p0werfulBananaa

Hello!
I'm a noob who thought the registration question was way to hard, but i understand why.
My goal for arch linux is to convert my laptop into an arch linux computer with the current Windows 10 system running in a virtual machine.
Anyone have a step by step tutorial ?

Board footer