You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-29 15:43:52

plockery

locale problem

Somehow my locales seem to have got messed up.
I have read everything I could find on the forum and in the wiki and been fiddling for hours.
If anyone can help me that would be great.

Before all this happened, my locale in rc.conf was originally just set at en_AU.

I am in the process of loading/configuring arch with xfce4 and gnome-volume-manager (for usb sticks).

gnome-volume-manager returned an error "locale not supported by C library"

From the forum I read that this means I needed to go to locale.gen, uncomment the appropriate line for my locale (en_AU) and then run /etc/local.gen.

But then when I run locale.gen I get another error "line 107 [corresponging to my locale] :command not found".

locale -a returned "Cannot se LC_CTYPE to default locale: no such file or directory. This is repeated for LC_MESSAGES and LC_COLLATE.

I also put a LC_ALL="en_AU" in my .bashrc file as recommended elsewhere but to no avail.

Now after fiddling with the alternative character sets (UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1) the /etc/locale.gen just goes back to the prompt... not sure whether it does anything at all.
But locale -a returns the same errors.

I did notice that the /usr/share/i18n/charmaps (talked about in the locale.gen file) has no UTF-8 settings for any locale.

So at the moment I have everything set to ISO-8859-1.

But it still won't work and gnome-volume-manager still returns the same error.

I have also rebooted several times.

Can anyone possible sort this out for me?

Peter

#2 2006-07-29 15:51:32

Borosai

Re: locale problem

Try locale-gen (with a hyphen instead of a period). That should work. And I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but I uncommented both UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 in /etc/locale.gen and it works fine.

#3 2006-07-30 03:11:16

plockery

Thanks Borosai.

Yes that worked. Obviously in all my trawling around the web I didn't look carefully enough at what was actually written.

Sometimes I feel like such a dope. Thanks for going easy on me!

#4 2006-07-30 16:04:03

Borosai

No problem...glad to help.

Board footer